Powder Coating Alloys

Drop them into Auto Image in Great western Road they will talk you through the best options, Ian has been there for 30 years, he knows his stuff

One of my collegues uses Auto Image and swears by them. Was going to try them myself but I just haven't got round to looking for a spare set of wheels to borrow yet. They will loan you a set of wheels but unfortunatly they don't have anything that will go over Brembos.

My Chameleon powdercoated wheels were completely fecked within 6 months. :lol:

What went wrong James?

Whats went right? To be honest, I am just fed up with the car. One thing after another.

Got the wheels done and after about 6 months I noticed some of the lacquer was starting to bubble. Left it and it got worse. Lacquer went cloudy and now most of it has come off. Was told I wasn't looking after them properly and had used to harsh cleaning products. I used Meguires Hyperwash and Poorboys wheel sealant, so I don't think so.

Ended up kerbing one very hard so just left it in the end, plus moving house took priority. Two years done the line now, and they are worse than before I got it done.

Kerbed wheel ended up being the least of my problems however. Got a bit of brake shudder after that, went to Greers, brakes worn out. I supplied new discs they put them on. Told them I had walloped a kerb and asked them to check for damage. Told all was ok. 2k miles later, brake shudder back. Greers diagnosed seized calipers. I supplied Greers with a set of brembos and associated new discs to go on. Shudder came back. Went back to Greers for a set of rear shockers which had gone, asked them to look the brakes again. Didn't bother looking and told me probably my fault for buying cheap discs.

Now with Duncan at Hypertech where a bent hub has been diagnosed. This has been causing every set of discs to warp. Been like this since I hit the kerb. Greers might have noticed it had they bothered to clean the hubs before bolting on the new discs on top of all the dirt build up. And as for the 'seized' calipers. Terzo Neil tool them off my hands, found there was nothing wrong with them after all, and I believe Empty Heed now has them on her Classic. How can a bent hub be diagnosed as seized calipers??? Answers on a postcard.

To top it all, the thing got keyed at the end of last year.

And breathe! Sorry, rant over, feel better for that.

Back to the topic in question. When I sort out the wheels in the spring, I will go for a painted finish as I am unconvinced about the longevity of the lacquer on the powdercoating.

One of my collegues uses Auto Image and swears by them. Was going to try them myself but I just haven't got round to looking for a spare set of wheels to borrow yet. They will loan you a set of wheels but unfortunatly they don't have anything that will go over Brembos.

My Chameleon powdercoated wheels were completely fecked within 6 months. ;)

Should have a set in a couple of weeks you can borrow im getting new ones

So what are the costs of painting versus powder coating???, the RS4 wiil prob need it done in the future and dont know which route to go down, will be going either matt black or gloss black.

Any painters near Hamilton/motherwell??

Mac

Ive just booked mine into rmcoatings in livingston for tuesday. £195+vat for 4x 18" Ultraleggeras ;)

Edited by G4LL J