Awd Hi/low Explanation

Hello

I'm in the market for a 2nd hand impreza and have seen a couple so far but nothing I would buy. Never having owned an AWD or 4x4 I need a bit of help (might seem silly questions but searching the web hasn't helped me). One of the cars I went to see (MY2000 sportwagon) had a hi/low selector stick next to the handbrake, another model I saw (51 plate sport saloon) didn't have it.

Can someone explain to me the difference in cars having/not having the hi/low selector, what's it for and if the awd system is the same on both?

When should you use the hi/low selector and what advantages does it have. Was it an option when the cars were new?

In other words can someone tell me what it is?

Thanks

Edited by davea

I was unaware that any impreza came with the option to change gear ratios ?? All wheel drive means all wheel drive, there are no ratio selections etc, that is all left for 4wd motors (If I remember correctly)

You sure the Hi/low switch was related to the gearbox/Diffs?

Edited by stealth69
I was unaware that any impreza came with the option to change gear ratios ?? All wheel drive means all wheel drive, there are no ratio selections etc, that is all left for 4wd motors (If I remember correctly)

No I'm not sure what it relates to but shifting it into hi/low had a corresponding light on the dash. My dad's 2000 plate impreza sport didn't have it so I was surprised when I saw one with it. Two cars I have looked at this week had one.

Must be someone on here who's car has one that can tell us what it does.

Non turbos do have high and low ratio selecters. Don't exactly know which models, but i know that the new hatch 1.5ltr has it, becuase i had one as a courtesy car.

"Low-ratio gearbox.

A gearbox suitable for normal driving is not ideal for tackling extreme conditions like steep hills or very soft ground when off-roading. Consequently off-road cars are often fitted with a second, lower-ratio gearbox which means better traction. Low ratio is normally engaged by a second lever next to the main gear lever and turns the wheels slower, reducing the risk of losing grip.

An increasingly popular alternative to a low-ratio gearbox (which adds considerable wieght), is to use electronics to minimise wheelspin.

The Subaru Impreza hatch is unusual as it's a road car with a low-ratio gearbox. Toyota Land Cruiser, Mitsubishi Shogun and Jeep Grand Cherokee all use a low-ration gearbox."

Parkers.co.uk.

There you go. If you buy one, the next time it snows you'll be laughing :rolleyes:

The wife's MY '00 sport has one of these. Pull the lever up when stationary, the light comes on and 1st gear is magically geared slower. It turns itself off when you go too fast or change gear. Never had to use it, so can't say how effective it is! Might get us out of the snow or mud one day though :rolleyes: As far as I know it is more of an 'under-drive' (similar to over-drive in top gear on some classic cars) gear than true low-ratio gearbox, but I might be wrong....

The Impreza sports have a few things that the Turbos don't have - a hill holder clutch for example. Very handy bit of kit for uphill traffic jams B)

So it's particular to the sport then. The last one I went to see wouldn't go into gear when I selected lo ratio but it wouldn't move either...think the clutch was gone!

What about the Hi ratio? I understand now that lo ratio makes first gear slower but when would you use the hi ratio?

So it's particular to the sport then. The last one I went to see wouldn't go into gear when I selected lo ratio but it wouldn't move either...think the clutch was gone!

What about the Hi ratio? I understand now that lo ratio makes first gear slower but when would you use the hi ratio?

I'd use Hi for everyday driving, I think Lo is just for tricky situations where you might be stuck, like snow or mud

The high ratio (lever down) is the normal driving range - ie. what you will use for 99.9999% of the time you have the car :rolleyes: