After 3 Subarus And 5+ Years In The Sidc....

Guys,

As most of you know likely know, I have had a new daughter recently and already have a 2 year old son ( see where this is heading ! ). It has dawned on me that the track day / B-Road weapon I have been grooming over the last 13 months is barely getting used yet I have spent £3.5K on it in that short period ! I have used it on one SIDC track day at Knockhill and it has seen no other action whatsover other than the odd 45 minute run on dry weekends or evenings to keep it ticking over nicely....

In summary, I have loved Scoobys since L555 BAT appeared on the scene and have owned a bugeye, hawkeye and classic and been a member in here for 5 years or so. Even before that I hung around in here with my Civic Type R for a good year or so hankering for 4WD and turbo action.

It's occured to me that whilst I love a balls out 300+bhp Scooby, my life does not allow me enough time to enjoy the car fully and it therefore sits in my garage for the majority of the time. I miss hearing a burble everyday as an everyday runner and recently got an Audi Avant for a family run-about. It made me realise that I need a car that looks nice and sounds better for every day needs.

For this reason, yesterday I bought a Mk5 Golf R32 which has been given the Milltek treatment. It sounds like God shouting angrily, is very comfortable and wafts about with ease and looks the dawgs.

So with much regret, I shall be selling my WRX ( a.k.a The Patriot ) in the next few days, coming weeks. I shall be putting a detailed advert together for this cracking little car.

I'll still be in "here" once and a while and have made a lot of good friends in here so I wont be leaving the flock and will still be a KH regular.

So expect to see an extremely affordable but very sorted WRX for sale real soon.

A few memories........

At the Ring

IMG_1570Large.jpg

IMG_1598Large.jpg

Duffus Dip

HotMarquesDEC06ORIGINAL.jpg

A pregnant Natalie being driven over the Applecross Pass

DSC07306.jpg

Main straight on the Ring

DSC04195.jpg

In hot pursuit again at The Ring

NurburgringCalSubaru.jpg

When the Squirrel was the Squirrel and not the Squiggle !

DSC00687.jpg

The lads on the John O' Groats Charity Run

DSC00139.jpg

And again on my favourite bend @ KH

duffusdip.jpg

Latest track car, The Patriot ( for sale !) - now has a reverse FMIC scoop though

IMG_4038copy.jpg

IMG_4050copy.jpg

IMG_4043copy.jpg

IMG_4029copy.jpg

And many hours spen in WUZ's garage ! Cheers Russell ! Boyakasha sporting a nice wee syrup fig

DSC00028.jpg

:D;):o

and the future looks like this.........

IMG_0512.jpg

and sounds like this :-

:D

Cheers folks, you have made me spend all my money and consumed tons of V-Power over 1/6 of my life ! Oh and made me buy cameras, x-boxes and the like....

Thanks go to the RO's especially in addition to JohnS who keeps us alive and kicking at KH / Alford etc. Grant & Imy dont do too shabby a job in the logistics department either !

Cal

p.s compiled this as I cant sleep but having spent a bit of time doing it I am wondering if I am doing the right thing. A kaleidoscope of memories up there for sure !

Edited by ~ ~ Cal ~~

Well Cal you will solely miss the scoob when its gone but i don understand what you are saing and i think you can still afford to keep the scoob as you've went and bought the German hot hatch without even a hint of sell the scoob first.

No doubt i will see you at KH next year and a pax ride will be there for your taking. :D

If you are buying a 'hot hatch' why not go for a hatch subaru m8? You wont get the build quality of the German car [no subaru will] but you will be amazed at how good they are. I have had a mk5 golf when they first came out so not just being biased towards the Subaru. With a slight exhaust modification the burble is still there & its got more power than the R32....... lots more :D for those emergency times when you need it

If you are buying a 'hot hatch' why not go for a hatch subaru m8? You wont get the build quality of the German car [no subaru will] but you will be amazed at how good they are. I have had a mk5 golf when they first came out so not just being biased towards the Subaru. With a slight exhaust modification the burble is still there & its got more power than the R32....... lots more ;) for those emergency times when you need it

He is right Cal, people have no excuse for not owning a scoob any more :o . The new hatch is comfy, stills burbles, holds two baby seats, has a decent boot, looks good and is very comfortable to drive.

Hope you enjoy the golf thingy but you will miss the scoob, I bet you everyone that owns a scoob and sells it ends up missing it.

They are like cigarettes, addictive, hard to give up and you will always be wanting one :D

Dude... Just... Dude...

You'll regret it blah blah blah, same thing that we always say that you already know...

Its a nice motor that you have there, but I wonder how long its going to be before you get another scooby back... at least you have said that you are not leaving us, merely changing note...

Hope you are happy with the new car, because since you sold the bugeye, you don't seem to have settled...

Maybe he doesn't like the looks of the Hatch Impreza?? :D

Good post Cal, can totally see where you're coming from unfortunately, although for different reasons, i.e I have no kids or house, but thats where I want to go and having a Scoob will slow that process down. Which is why I'm not sure I'll take the plunge and return to the fold.. I've had 5 of them and not sure I can justify having one sitting doing nothing for most of the time, since they require cash and time to keep tip top even when they're not being used!!

R32 looks nice, strangely, the price of the MK5 R32 is only slightly more than people seem to be asking for the MK4 R32 which seems a little crazy?!

Cheers,

Grant

Here is a piccy of the seats, a £2350 option which someone paid for before me ( nutter !)......this was one of the factors that pushed me over the edge. Previous own was a detailing freak too which is nice

SSL27746.jpg

9.jpg

Spec :-

Full Dealer Warranty till Oct 2010

Manual 6 Speed Gearbox

18" Omanyt Alloys (unmarked) with 4 good 225/40/18 Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres

Auto Leveling Xenons Lights

Welcome Home Light Function

Auto Lights & Wipers

Vienna Leather

Upgraded Heated RECARO Bucket Seats

Flat bottomed Steering Wheel

Cruise control

Climate Control

Auto Dimming Internal Mirrors and External Heated Mirrors

Center Armrest

Air Cooled Glove Box

6 CD Multichanger Headunit

Tyre Pressure Monitor

Back 3 Factory Tinted Windows

Comfort pack

Winter pack

Mods done to the car(These were dealer fitted from new so warranty unaffected)

Milltek resonated cat-back exhaust system

Air Filter box removed and new Carbon system fitted (origional air box available)

Euro spec R badge on rear (blue)

********************************************************************************

I know I shall miss the Scoob but the R32 ( already in my posession so actual pics to follow) is just creamy.

The sound ( never thought I would say this ) is actually better than a burble. I have not fitted a de-resonated pipe yet which is in the boot . Pure evil I suspect

I shall still be around folks so dinnae fret . Also if I am being honest I was growing tired of the image ( chav, boy racer etc). Not our perception but 99.9% of everyone elses.

Cheers, Cal

Hi Cal

one of the lads that I work beside had an R32 for a couple of years and a lotus elise before that, he just got rid of the R32 & is now the proud owner of an RB320 and has just realised what he's been missing lol

I hope you don't end up like myself & Wulsey, we went down the Audi route and although they are fantastic cars after a few months it was goodbye Audi & get me another scoob, if you can afford it keep the patriot mate, if not someones going to get a nice wee toy to play with.

We'll soon see what unfolds.......I can afford to keep the Patriot but simply dont use it enough and would like to reclaim half of the garage back.

A Scooby hatch does not really appeal and the boot it pretty small. Depreciation will be rank rotten and they just dont do it for me......

Already have an Audi Avant TDI S-Line ( remapped) for my wife to run around in now so the Golf is just for pleasure / leisure / short commute

CGS ( will put pics on FlickR )

Edited by ~ ~ Cal ~~

I have also been having thoughts about changing car. When I go back offshore I always feel that i should get a decent reliable car.

When I get back from offshore and drive the RB5 again I remember why I drive an unreliable, uncomfortable car every day.

I still have the odd look at other cars mainly FQ360 evo 9's but just can't justify the dept it would entail.

R32 is a nice looking motor and coming from a V6 engined golf before the scoob I will guarantee you will love the rip of the V6 once properly unleashed.

Good luck to you Cal

Ps your link to your pic's doesn't work

Some pics now I have sorted them out :-

4145545604_28b75661d4_b.jpg

4145547444_6238d1fa40_b.jpg

4145543272_1385836df5_b.jpg

4145540218_49152596cf_b.jpg

4145541174_9f7c29257c_b.jpg

4145283426_581f52a419_b.jpg

4144789341_246c94163e_b.jpg

4144783071_125408cb35_b.jpg

Ciaran - the V6 howl has always stirred my loins. The Milltek system on this car and carbon intake sound unreal. Even a mere blip of the throttle sound sweet during down changes.

I think the Milltek system removes the butterfly valves on the OEM system but unsure tbh.....

Cheers, Cal

excellent choice cal she looks a cracker :lol:

get the exhaust unresonated and hear it really scream you wouldnt believe the difference dont know if youre other half will approve though.

I had a mk4 R32 with the milltek and carbon induction kit etc and absolutely loved it, if ever theres a replacement for a scoob its one of these.

enjoy

p.s tyresmoke R32 fiorum is quite good

Nice choice Callum. Black is the fastest colour after all.

I totally understand the desire to have a quality everyday machine to run around in. As nice as it is to fire up the subaru and scare myself silly it's also nice to have a solid, reliable, safer and comfortable car for the journeys you have to make rather than want to make.

I'm looking for an new everyday car myself. I've owned my current steed for nearly 8 years now but as tempting as it is I won't be looking at performance cars to replace it. The whole point of the second car thing is it should be the ying to the others yang and besides nothing is going to feel fast after the type r even though the running costs would suggest otherwise.

If the 32 is going to be your only whip then it's a fime choice. If you're thinking about keeping the subaru I'd have bought a gtd. On the other hand if you're loaded just keep both and enjoy.

Hi Cal

one of the lads that I work beside had an R32 for a couple of years and a lotus elise before that, he just got rid of the R32 & is now the proud owner of an RB320 and has just realised what he's been missing lol

I hope you don't end up like myself & Wulsey, we went down the Audi route and although they are fantastic cars after a few months it was goodbye Audi & get me another scoob, if you can afford it keep the patriot mate, if not someones going to get a nice wee toy to play with.

thats got to be jamie you are talking about bobby.....he is even managing to keep it standard......lol

Glad you will still be around on the forum and Knockhill Cal. I do love the look of the R32 golfs and they have one of the best engine noises around, even better with a milltek system.

It is a waste to have a good track car sitting around doing nothing. Maybe when the kids get a bit older you can get back into an other Subaru.

It's a very nice choice Cal, although if the current mpg is as good as it gets it's going to be costly to run :lol: - mind you, like Subaru running is cheap !!

Again, many thanks for all your help way back when I first got mine, your advice was a huge help !

agree with all the posts so far

sorry you feel you have to sell the Patriot Cal but your wee family has grown and it sounds like you are ready to make the move towards the sensible family car

hope you do continue to post here, I've always liked reading what you have to say

and thanks for the mention in your initial post :lol:

though the days of organising club runs are in the past for me, I've no longer got the motivation to do them.

imy