Re-learning How To Drive A Scooby

Greetings, Citizens.

As it's been a while since I left the fold, I've forgotten how to drive a Scooby, it seems. Dare I say, I'd even thought had I done the right thing by buying the latest one.. although it's a quick car, it didn't really feel as quick as I remembered. Had I bought a dud, or had I been seduced by German horsepower to the extent that a Scooby wouldn't cut it any more?

No and no seems to be the answer, thankfully. I've just forgotten how to press the throttle pedal, apparently! The Merc and the VW are both automatic and only the top quarter of the pedal travel actually changes the forward progress by any significant amount.. or in desperation, burying it into the carpet will force a kickdown.

Driving in a German throttle stylie, the Scooby flattens out at around 4500-5000 rpm, so I have been short-shifting to compensate. Something just clicked today when I was overtaking a lorry uphill and I thought "hang on, there's a whole load of fresh air between my foot and the floor". Third gear, depress loud pedal, hold on a sec - there's more power. A bit more throttle - ooh, still more power. Oh sh*t, rev limiter :icon_salut:

And I'd also forgotten how much grip these little buggers have.. until I came off the bypass today onto one of my favourite corners. Forget Loews Hairpin or Eau Rouge, this has a constantly changing radius, about 3 changes of surface and fluctuating camber to throw into the mix.. and the Scooby tucked in and drove round it like there was no corner at all. Bloody brilliant.

It's not all ham and plaques - I've re-discovered over the last couple of days that the interior of the Scooby is distinctly plasticky - but it has put a smile on my face that has been missing for a while.. :)

Cheers,

Plug

I've re-discovered over the last couple of days that the interior of the Scooby is distinctly plasticky - but it has put a smile on my face that has been missing for a while.. :P

Cheers,

Plug

Glad to here your enjoying driving again. Give me a plasticly interior and a great driving experience over a great interior any day of the week!!! The seats are comfortable which is the main thing especially for longer journeys.