Driving Road Recommendations ...

im useless with road numbers but north to achnasheen,then lochcarron over to kyle of lochalsh ,down past dornie(eilan donan castle from highlander) through glensheil and over to invergarry then fort augustus and up the south side of loch ness-great roads stunning scenery and i saw a load of scoobs last time i was on it :thumbup: lol

It's not an area I know particularly well, but I did drive the A82 up the side of Loch Ness once and it was well nice.

Apologies if you were looking for something more obscure!

Thanks. Probably going up the A9 and coming back down the A82 as I've never seen the monster !!

the road from braemar past glen shee and down to perth thats pretty good me and a mate did i was in the scoob and he was in a lotus elise was really good fast winding road!! there was a few :crying: moments though!

I'm going up the A9 from Perth so I'll look into this as an alternate route ;)

From Inverness north over the Kessock Bridge on the A9. Then A835 - A832 - Gairloch.

Cracking road, brilliant scenery.

I'm staying north of of Inverness so I'll defo check this one out.

Don't know where your coming from but drove from Fort willaim to Inverness and the road is amazing and as the other's said up the side of Loch Ness is stunning.

Sounds like my route back is sorted. Cheers.

im useless with road numbers but north to achnasheen,then lochcarron over to kyle of lochalsh ,down past dornie(eilan donan castle from highlander) through glensheil and over to invergarry then fort augustus and up the south side of loch ness-great roads stunning scenery and i saw a load of scoobs last time i was on it :thumbup: lol

I've heard the road to Applecross is pretty special. As close to a Stelvio as we can get in Scotland.

Thanks to all.

One of the best roads in the country is the A839 (just off the A9 north of Inverness) to Lairg and the A836 from Lairg to Tongue, I have yet to find a better road to blast the scoob down :crying:

It should be a rally stage :thumbup:

Oh and the scenery it breathtaking.

Cheers Iain

Edited by Big 'D'

Thats my teritory, some good routes suggested already. Watch out on the Loch Ness road as its just been added to the scamera van routes so they're bound to be out in force, pic in paper about in looks like one of said spots is just as you come towards Drumnadrochit. As Scooby222 said the south side of the loch road is better, not so many tourists at this time of year & total blast to drive.

Try heading up the Ullapool road A835 & turn of at Corrieshalloch gorge onto the A832. This will take you the coastal route round past Gruinard bay (anthrax island) Altbea round to Gairloch then back down to Garve. Great drive with lovely scenery one of my favs, nice mix of open road with some amazing twisty tight bits.

Will 2nd Scooby222's route this is also a must drive route if your in the area.

Big D's route is also another of my favs, but make sure you turn of the A9 & take the B9176 Struie road so you get to take in the best route (& my test track the struie)

Not many 999 on the roads but camera vans on the main roads. When your near Inverness coming up A9 DO NOT SPEED on the last section of duel carridgeway by Daviot, the police & camera vans always sit there its easy prey for them. Oh & if your on the Garve to Achnasheen road watch out for them there to, its lovely long straights for miles with good visability & prob the best surfaced road in the Highlands it just begs for a blast but 999 sit up there at times especially weekends when all the bikers are out. Main unmarked car used in the area is a darkish grey Saab estate & it gets about the area.

I'm sure you'll have fun wherever you go as there are just SO many good roads up here we are spoilt for choice.

Big D's route is also another of my favs, but make sure you turn of the A9 & take the B9176 Struie road so you get to take in the best route (& my test track the struie)

:lol: Thats a defo, there are some kickass corners, straights, hills, dips and views on that route over the Struie. If you do go that way there is a long downhill section just after the view point (if heading north) at the bottom you will cross over a little bridge once over that bridge the road gets very twisty and can be very slippy too if wet as it is in constant cover of trees, oh and one of the corners there is at an off camber and is tighter than it looks, you will see what I mean if you go that way :P

I lived up in Tongue before moving down to Englandshire, and drove this road pretty much every week, god I miss that :(

I am sure you will have fun where ever you go ;)

Cheers Iain