Breakdown Cover Rant

Need to let off a bit of steam.

I'm with the AA for breakdown. I've used them a few times and do provide a good service. I've been using them for years on and off.

I always go for the second level of cover so that I can have the car transported to any garage in the uk if it cant be fixed by the side of the road.

Last year I let the membership expire then I started a new membership online because it was £20 cheaper or something like that....

So this year, I got the renewal letter and I thought I'd check the online quotes again, hey presto 25% cheaper if you start up a membership online. I decided to let the membership expire (same as last year) and then I applied for a new membership online at £76.50 as opposed to the £102 renewal price.

Next I get a letter in the mail today saying that I have 2 memberships with them. I'm thinking FFS that shouldnt be, I can smell hassle here :thumbup:

After checking bank statements, heres a DD payment for £102. So I phone them up, they cancel the new membership as they hadnt taken payment (even though I thought they had after doing all the payment stuff online a week or so ago). So I proceed to ask about the 25% discount that I havnt been able to get, even though I have been a customer for years on and off. I'm put n HOLD for a minute, then I'm told that offer has expired. So still on the phone to this woman, I'm checking the AA website and here comes the slap on the face....

Roadside Relay Breakdown Cover:

Price - £102

Discount - £43.35

Discounted Annual Price £58.65

Wasn't exactly impressed there, I managed to refrain from swearing and the woman said they would get me a discount next year...AYE RIGHT, WHATEVER

FUNTS with a C

rant over, I need a beer :blink:

Rich

Edited by Cullenmin

D'oh! I only finally signed up for the AA few weeks back.. tried signign up last year before McRae Gathering got confirmation through but no introduction pack/membership card and they never took payment WTF! Never mind signed up now.. Will have to see what they say at renewal.. I can get a discount via the IAM I think.. THere'a alsoa deal with teh SIDC but not sure if that's for new registrations or on renewals... Also I know that if you don't need their services they discount you for that too...

Yeah, i was going to say that Al, you beat me to it, theres an SIDC discount scheme... think the codes in True Grip... and it dont expire... :laughing4:

I was trying to use it, but then it turns out that they are still giving me the Forces discount (even though I'm not in teh forces anymore) but it worked out the same so it doesn't matter...

Hmmm, just looks like more money, I think that ive used my AA membership like once in a couple of years... if nothings broken, then why do I need to pay more to get nothing fixed...?

Yes i know what you are saying, i was just pointing out that this is available to those who didnt know of this cover. Like i said my mate has had a few thousand pounds worth of repairs out of it over the years.