State Of Our Roads

Has anyone driven down Riverview Road, Dyce between the Newmachar end roundabout and the turn off for Asda lately? It's impossible to avoid all the potholes and all the trucks in front of you are throwing up stones -why do we pay road tax?

Its the same down here; its an absolute disgrace. We pay road tax to prop up failing banks and buy nuclear weapons. The income is certainly NOT spent on roads. :D:D

Our beloved leaders changed the name from Road Tax to Road Fund Licence to stop this argument. You aren't paying 'Road Tax' anymore so the roads can be repaired. You now pay for the lovely disc to stick in the windscreen to say you have been fleeced and are allowed to drive on the crap roads we have. If i remember right it changed when they brought in the new road fund banding for 'green' reasons as an excuse to spend more money on the NHS and schools. Local councils get a set amount to spend on repairs and Mr Darling banks the rest, hopefully not in Iceland.

But you are right Hoss there are some really crap roads up here.

I think that this year they are the worst that ive seen them, potholes everywhere, theres another local forum that I use and every other day at one point someone else was coming on and posting about how they have just ****ed a wheel on a pothole... all around the place...

Just about every road that I drive is in a worse state than it was six months ago. No attempt made to patch up the results of the protracted cold winter.

But remember, it's not 'road tax' any more, it's 'car tax'... and therefore gone is the implication that the proceeds shall be used to maintain the highways :rotfl:

And so we continue to be an easy target for a severe shafting - i.e. they do it because they can get away with it.

Edited by Mystery Machine

I was up at Kintore for the weekend & I was just sayin to the wife how good the roads were up north :rotfl:

but :rotfl: the roads are shocking epecially in the central belt

I have to pay my rip off £410 road tax contribution to where ever it goes these days at the end of the month :rotfl:

Bobby

I fail to see any validity in this "car tax versus road tax" pish (not saying that previous posts are actually excusing the authorities responsibility by stating this). We pay car tax, fuel tax, council tax and income tax and there is therefore no excuse for the shambolic state of our roads as their are multiplied billions going into the treasury as a result of those taxes. At the end of the day, that shower of s****e (Labour, Cons, Libs ANY of them) who run, I mean control our country, simply do not give a rats ar$e about the road conditions (or much else) or the fact that our cars are getting destroyed by them. It gets right on my tits!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:;):boldblue:

Right, I need to go get a cup of Camomile tea and a wee lie down to recover! :rotfl:

Edited by TheWelsho

you live in scotland, simple as that. don't think they are aware of potholes in engerlund. as per a previous thread where the guy wrecked his bumper in a car park. It's all part of the 'joy' of motoring. I think we all know someone if not ourselves who have destroyed an alloy in a pot hole. If not alloys then its speed bumps claiming our splitters or denting our exhuasts. It sucks. There are area around my way which are recovered almost seasonally, but as sure as summer follows springs the new surface looks like a ballistic testing site after a short time. obviously this is accelerated in the winter with the 'grit' etc but what does this say about materials and methods used in fixing our roads?

I fail to see any validity in this "car tax versus road tax" pish (not saying that previous posts are actually excusing the authorities responsibility by stating this). We pay car tax, fuel tax, council tax and income tax and there is therefore no excuse for the shambolic state of our roads as their are multiplied billions going into the treasury as a result of those taxes. At the end of the day, that shower of s****e (Labour, Cons, Libs ANY of them) who run, I mean control our country, simply do not give a rats ar$e about the road conditions (or much else) or the fact that our cars are getting destroyed by them. It gets right on my tits!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:;):boldblue:

Right, I need to go get a cup of Camomile tea and a wee lie down to recover! :rotfl:

:thumbup::rotfl: :rotfl: Go get em Johnny!!

Yup, that says it all. So why, why is it allowed to happen? I can see insurers dialing in higher premiums if the roads in a certain post code are particularly bad saying something like, "greater risk to car damage caused by suspect road-surface"; pretty much in the way that they already do with certain post codes being more susceptible to theft.

I wonder if the insurers try to recover their money after a claim…

Does anyone phone their local council number to report the potholes though ??

Not sure if this is all areas but I understand the council don't accept liability for damage unless the pothole has been reported 10 days prior to the incident.

Know about Ayrshire being one of the worst, years ago worked down there and in a 6 month spell went through two alloys, two good tyres and various suspension parts !! Cost a fortune and got none of it back !!! :rotfl:

Does anyone phone their local council number to report the potholes though ??

Not sure if this is all areas but I understand the council don't accept liability for damage unless the pothole has been reported 10 days prior to the incident.

Know about Ayrshire being one of the worst, years ago worked down there and in a 6 month spell went through two alloys, two good tyres and various suspension parts !! Cost a fortune and got none of it back !!! :rotfl:

Can only agree but the council roads dept don't have any budget for repair, they can barely keep up with the potholes, which we all know last only a few weeks particularly in adverse weather. I work in the traffic section and daily see complaints from the public re potholes.

The fault imho lies with the budget allocation, most of it goes on education and social work.

The trunk roads are much better off since the operating company budget comes from Transport Scotland and is spent exclusively on roads maintenance.

Perhaps there is a case for lobbying central goverment for extra funding for the councils exclusively for road repairs.

I know that South Ayrshire's roads budget barely allows them to keep the roads in their present deplorable state, far less renewing worn out roads.

Can only agree but the council roads dept don't have any budget for repair, they can barely keep up with the potholes, which we all know last only a few weeks particularly in adverse weather. I work in the traffic section and daily see complaints from the public re potholes.

The fault imho lies with the budget allocation, most of it goes on education and social work.

The trunk roads are much better off since the operating company budget comes from Transport Scotland and is spent exclusively on roads maintenance.

Perhaps there is a case for lobbying central goverment for extra funding for the councils exclusively for road repairs.

I know that South Ayrshire's roads budget barely allows them to keep the roads in their present deplorable state, far less renewing worn out roads.

Ok, fine. Now that said, who pays for the damage to our cars? If no one is liable, then when does it stop????

Ok, fine. Now that said, who pays for the damage to our cars? If no one is liable, then when does it stop????

Don't have an answer to that. I know that we get claims all the time, but I don't know whether they're successful. But then again a claim paid out isn't fixing the road!

That said I would claim if I had to.

Don't have an answer to that. I know that we get claims all the time, but I don't know whether they're successful. But then again a claim paid out isn't fixing the road!

That said I would claim if I had to.

Yeah. Although, if they paid up, it would make the road conditions a bit more bearable. BTW, I wasn't getting at you in the last post! I just read it back and I sounded a little bit aggro, ha! :rotfl:

Edited by TheWelsho

i know when i buckled my OZ'ds on my pug i was was told by the council that as i had not reported the deficiency in the road to them, then how would they be aware of the problem to fix it. I can understand their point on this, but how am i to be aware of every pot hole i will incur on my journey?!? Letters went back and forth with estimates etc but i sold the car so didnt follow it up, though i do know of people who have eventually had payouts