Claybar......what Does It Do?

After reading through detailing treads and listening to people I keep hearing about claybars...

I am about to attack the car with a sponge and then some polish. I have been using Meguires 3 step (paint cleaner, polish, carnuba wax) and I've always been quite pleased with how it's turned out.

At what stage do you use / apply the clay bar and what exactly does it do? Where do you get them, how do you apply it and how much (approx) are they?

Remember - There's no such thing as a sily question :wub:

I ain't no expert but I have used the claybar and it really does work. If you have the time then it is well worth the effort.

Here's some info about preparation before polishing including using a claybar.

Before polishing

And here's the kit that I use, which can also be purchased in the likes of Halfords. This is a good one for beginners because it ain't too aggressive and as long as you keep the paint work wet with the spray you will not do any damage.

Clay bar kit

Polished Bliss has an excellent website for learning about all aspects of detailing your car and they also stock everything you would need to do any detailing work. They are super helpful if you ever feel the need to give them a quick call and ask any questions. Delivery on all goods is pretty good too.

Hope this helps. :wub:

Clay bar is well worth using it removes all the bonded contaminants, so all the tree sap and tar ect from the paint and leaves the paint work very smooth just like glass and is a far better surface to polish on.

Its very easy to use and the megs one in the link is an ideal kit for first timers, i used it first time too

So an easy guide

Wash the car (very well)

leave wet, no need to dry yet

Now clay using plenty lube and following the instructions in the kit (i clay everything including glass lights) you'll be amazed at what comes off

Then rinse/re wash

Dry

polish

wax

so there it is in simple terms i hope :wub:

Edited by notsosmall

I can recommend the Meguires claybar kit. Great stuff and once used the muck doesn't stick to the car as bad so it is easier to keep clean :wub:

Incidently , I have been given a tub of Poorboys poly-elastic clay (claybar) . What detailer spray would you expert detailers recommend I use with it ?

Al.

Spray wise nothing expensive is required it only acts as a lube to glide the clay over the surface and stop it sticking and causing damage

A simple solution of car shampoo and water in a spray bottle works.

although i have megs last touch which is perfect i also use it as a drying aid ect

Exactly what notsosmall has said, all good advice. The pb guide is very clear as to what it's like to work with.

Other things that may help :

Don't do it outside on a windy day. Sounds silly but think about the contact on your car between the clay and the dust/grit that could be getting blown on to the wet paintwork - scratch central ! If possible take the car under cover to do it. If can only be outside then you can hose the panel just before you clay just to be sure.

You might be able to split the clay to save some for next time, you'll soon see how much is needed...and if the car hasn't been clayed before/for long time you'll be very surprised at what comes off on to it regardless of how clean you think your car is !! It really does feel as smooth as glass after you've finished

If you drop the clay through it away - again it'll maybe pick up grit and....well as above !

If there is stubborn tar spots you might need to wipe that separately with a tar remover - clay should do most of it though.

As you've said you are going to do - protect the paintwork after.

Slow boring task but it will look brilliant after !

Oh, and a sponge :wub: , I'll close my eyes to that one !!! If you can a mitt is better.

Edited by C_WRX

'I am about to attack the car with a sponge '

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

As C WRX says try to get a wash mitt, preferrably a lambswool one( dear, but worth it) or a microfibre one, and use the two bucket method if you dont have a grit guard.

2 bucket method: 1 bucket with shampoo soloution, 1 with clean water. wash a panel then rinse mitt in clean water,giving it a rub to remove debris, then on to next panel etc etc.

Hope this helps too mate . :thumbup:

cheers

Iain