Look What Ive Done

well i broke my box and investigated it today.

this is what i found, general box

18102008235.jpg

missing teeth

18102008238.jpg

front diff

18102008236.jpg

the shinny bits is just the flash bouncing off the oil. obviously everything needs a good clean.

the diffs all look ok (to me) its just that gear combination of driven/drove thats damaged.

can these be replaced individually? box worked fine with no noises before.

im going to get replacement box tomorrow but would this be fixable for a spare?, cars pretty standard

i usually go to glenburgie but hes off today on his holidays for a week or so.

going to shops sedatly. car hasnt been used much for a few weeks

that explains it then,obviously it died in shock of being driven cannily :)

this mean youve finally found something you cant fix with an angle grinder and baler twine min? on the plus side its still been off the road for less time than rich's :thumbup:

this mean youve finally found something you cant fix with an angle grinder and baler twine min?

the drive damaged gear appears to be part of one unit which consists of shaft itself and drive gears of first,second,third and reverse. so unlikely to get replacement to be worth while fixing. will just get other box.

having said that i could build it up with weld then shape metal using a small grinder. think this would work? :thumbup::)

Edited by euan_r

well replacement box is in and cars up and running again.

this year i have learned how to remove gearbox and do clutch. this is third time in 10 months ive had to remove/refit gearbox.

acid i have no idea what raf means. :(

have you had your box out yet welsho? this one wouldnt even run in neutral, so i expected a lot of damage. i was surprised at how contained damage was. although fluid is shared through out, the internal ridges seem to stop debris spreading much. there is mechanism that circulates oil over center diff dy the looks of it though. you may be able to get your box repaired for not much £££ if your missing the burble, but then again you do have a penchant for track work. ;)