How To Apply

as above is there an easy way of putting exhaust heat wrap on a downpipe and what do i need to do this please a step by step guide would be helpfull guys. :lol:

Hammy, i am guessing that you have the pipe off the car. Id imagine it to be nearly impossible with it fitted.

I did mine by holding it rigid in a vice, then making sure i kept the wrap tight, and made sure i had at least a 1/3rd over wrap.

Then use the Steel type clips.

it takes some elbow grease and a little patience to do the job right mate.

I've wrapped two sections of exhausts now and more or less got the hang of it..

Things you'll need :

First off it's easier with two people (or a vice if you cant find a volunteer)

Bucket/basin of water

stainless steel straps (pliers or suitable tool for tightening these things!)

Gloves (at least) I wouldn't reccomended doing this bare handed!!!

Clean the outside of the pipe if necessary..

Put the gloves on before handling the heatwrap!!

Place the heatwrap in the basin of water for a couple of minutes to soak and soften it.. Makes it easier to apply to the exhaust. (More flexible and it will contract/tighten a little when it dries)

Get your friend/vice to hold the exhaust firmly.

Start at one end of the exhaust right up close to the flange, making sure to start off tightly..

Wrap the wrap :lol: around the exhaust as tightly as possible while having a 1-2cm overlap as you wrap. (No Gaps allowed!.. unless necessary round the bracket)

This is where the friend comes in handy as they can rotate the exhaust pipe as you feed it on as tightly as possible.. About every 15-20cm put one of those stainless steel straps onto it.. (These can be a right pig to get really tight, but they are of little use if they are slack.

Keep working your way along ot the other end of the pipe making sure to wrap it as tightly as possible!, Snip off any excess and put the final tie-wrap on.

I gave mine a blast with a heatgun to try and get most of the moisture out of it before re-fitting.

That should be about it.. Chances are you;ll find it easier to refit as there's no heatshields getting in the way!!!

Oh and as metnioned above, don't be surrpsied to get horrible smells and dodgy levels of smoke comeing from underside of the car for a couple of days after fitting.. It's just the wrap burning off any crap... (perfectly safe... Honest! :D )

Edited by ScoUK