Buying Advice For My Mate

My mate has got up to £3k to spend on a wagon and is asking me for advice (he thinks I know stuff - which I dont!).

He enjoyed the Glasgow run last week (August) and is really hooked on scoobies, but it must be a wagon for the extra space.

Anyone know of this company selling this 1996 STi v2 Wagon? or more pics

I have a 98 UK wagon, so I'm not exactly sure what the 96 STi differences are or what to look out for when buying? I know there is a list of differences of models somewhere, but cannot find it anywhere. The only list I could find was on IWOC and it didn't say much about the 96 STi JDM. Can anyone help?

Lastly he wanted me to ask if the seats from a 1998-2000 just bolt in as they are a bit more supportive. Oh, and on a fresh import JDM is it ok to run on v-power without octane booster or a remap? Sorry for the noob questions & if any one knows the whereabouts of a decent wagon in the 3k range then give me a shout.

Cheers

Duncan

Edited by MrBadger

try his guy you can view it on auto trader

2000 SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX 4WD 5dr Sportwagon (trade)

GDM

87,000 miles

Manual

Blue

Petrol

9 Months MOT, Bugeye 2.0 Turbo WRX, Subaru History, Remote Central Locking, Electric Windows and Mirrors, Climate Control, Alloys, Power Steering, ABS, rear spoiler, Momo Steering wheel, airbags, Superb

tel 07516 372713

3500 quid i see a bit of room to play as in price its in glasgow

Edited by scoobzie
I would want to know why this STI has uk back lights!!!!

version 2 sti aslo came with the back lights that had orange indicators the diff between uk back lights and jdm is the uk brake/side light is only half of the top and the jdm they run the full length because they don't have fog lights built in

I would want to know why this STI has uk back lights!!!!

Make me smile how hes going on about buying a import in the advert because of less corrosion due to there dryer weather in Japan but he hasnt mentioned it have to be fully waxoild underneath to stop corrosion from British weather lol.

Make me smile how hes going on about buying a import in the advert because of less corrosion due to there dryer weather in Japan but he hasnt mentioned it have to be fully waxoild underneath to stop corrosion from British weather lol.

hey guys mr Badger very kindly started this topic off for me. I'm fairly new to imprezas, don't know much, but once I'd had a run in Badgers wagon I was hooked. The guy selling the silver 1996 v2 seems pretty good. He's answered all my q's, sent up plenty of pics when asked and dropped the price a fair whack. There's also a v3 sti - a bit higher mileage but about the same price. Is there much difference between the v2 and the v3?

I like the idea of the import mainly due to the POWER advantage over a UK model and i've read that the sti has stronger engine internals, but then there's the lure of the new bugeye wagon that was linked to the topic. Any thoughts?

Too many choices :)

Cheers for all your help and advice

Edited by EJiT
version 2 sti aslo came with the back lights that had orange indicators the diff between uk back lights and jdm is the uk brake/side light is only half of the top and the jdm they run the full length because they don't have fog lights built in

As mentioned above the version two sti ( like mines ) came with the orange back indicators and not the clear ones.

I'll throw in my tuppence worth and suggest that 3K isn't going to get you anything special.

With the way fuel prices are going the market for subaru's is going to drop prices but

giving yourself a 3k budget still leaves you limited in choices. Then there is the inevitable

modification budget?.........are you Really sure that's a sensible road to go down..........?

Mr Sensible

Daily Mail.

I agree with seafar99.

3k isnt really giving yourself much option in terms of the right car for you (or anyone)

If and i know its not always possible, you could save for a bit longer you could get yourself so much more for your money.

If its a wagon your after then its a wagon your after but dont jump in, end up finding cash for mods but wishing youd waited and got something a little bit better.

Gumball

I agree, but the only thing i will say is that even with fuel prices, and they ARE dropping now, the classics are going to be more sought after because of Taxation. So you may see the prices start to rise.

Especially seeing as 5k could buy you an older classic, some mods and see you clear to 300BHP, whereas youd look at 7-10k for a newage, then 400 odd a year for tax.

I agree, but the only thing i will say is that even with fuel prices, and they ARE dropping now, the classics are going to be more sought after because of Taxation. So you may see the prices start to rise.

Especially seeing as 5k could buy you an older classic, some mods and see you clear to 300BHP, whereas youd look at 7-10k for a newage, then 400 odd a year for tax.

good point about the taxation - hadn't thought of that. As far as money goes 3K is pretty much my limit and while it might not buy me a fire breathing monster It should get me a wagon that'll give me a bit more of a buzz than our diesel passat does. I'll keep looking for a bit, the market seems a bit slow just now so there are a couple out there that might drop the wee bit needed to become affordable. In the meantime if anybody sees/hears of a good one going for the right money...........

Cheers

no reply from the pm i sent mrbadger. take it my pals wagon is to far away to consider?

sorry for the delay in replying, still getting the hang of this forum. aye, a wee bit of a distance but thanks for the thought.

cheers

ewan