Suspension Info Needed

recently had my 52 plate wrx in for some mods and the garage told me that my rear shocker is goosed, only had the car since feb so not so hot when it comes to subaru's although the cars a dream to drive now.

would i be best replacing the 2 rear shockers with subaru shockers or would it be worthwhile given the age of the car to go for 4 new coilovers any advice or tips would be great, not to sure what to do although i've just spent 1200 on some mods so trying not to spend to much unless it's necessary.

also guys my 2 front tyres have an inch band round them on the near side which is nearing the illegal tread depth has this anything to do with the shocker being goosed!! if this makes sense?

cheers

steve

recently had my 52 plate wrx in for some mods and the garage told me that my rear shocker is goosed, only had the car since feb so not so hot when it comes to subaru's although the cars a dream to drive now.

would i be best replacing the 2 rear shockers with subaru shockers or would it be worthwhile given the age of the car to go for 4 new coilovers any advice or tips would be great, not to sure what to do although i've just spent 1200 on some mods so trying not to spend to much unless it's necessary.

also guys my 2 front tyres have an inch band round them on the near side which is nearing the illegal tread depth has this anything to do with the shocker being goosed!! if this makes sense?

cheers

steve

If £'s is an issue I'd just buy two rear shocks but get alternative manufacturer as IMHO the OE spec ones are just sh*t!

The uneven wear on tyres in scoobies is generally caused by geometry settings but could also be affected by the duff shock.

get the two shocks done and then get a geometry set-up at Hypertec or Pro-grip

Gus

cheers

steve

Steve. Coilovers are a bit OTT for normal driving and I'd avoid them unless you wanted to so some track work. Also, they are not cost effective; a set would be about £600 or so, before fitting. If you wanted the car lowered, then a cheaper option would be to fit lowering springs - these would still provide improved handling and are used with existing struts.

The reason that your tyres are wearing in the inside like that, is down to the geometry settings (I think). When the Impreza comes out of the factory it is set up to understeer as this is easy for the driver to correct simply by lifting off. However, a favourite mod among drivers is to change this. In effect the tops of the wheels are tilted in so that more of the inside of the tyre is in contact with the road. This greatly improves the understeer and allows for faster cornering, however, the drawback is inner tread wear. It might be a suggestion to switch the rear wheels with the fronts.

As for the struts, I have 4 standard ones here so you can have your pick of them. My car is an MY06 WRX so be sure to find out if they'd fit.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

Edited by TheWelsho