K H Panic 2

Got ma replacement diff today, 5pm.

Been fitting it tonight and I'm stuck with joining the propshaft back onto the diff flange. The holes don't quite line up.

I know there is R180 and R160 rear diff's.

The car is a MY98 type R, the prop shaft flange holes are slightly smaller than the replacement diff flange holes. When i say smaller, I mean the holes are slightly more inwards (not physically smaller).

What do I need to do to fix this? Can I take my old diff flange off and put it straight onto the new diff?? (I have tried taking it off but I'm struggling without a vice).

The original receipt for the diff says it is a "Type R 4.4 diff comp"

I'm starting to worry that the diff is going to be the wrong one, since the flange holes dont line up right. :D

Help please anyone

Rich

Put the "new" diff next to your old one, 160's and 180's are different sizes and so it be should be obvious if they're not the same from the outside. Whether they're the same ratio is impossible to tell without either counting the teeth or turning them and counting the revolutions.

The flanges can be different but you can swap them over no problem. Just use an airgun to take the big nut off and work the flange off, them tighten with the airgun again. Some people drill out the bolt holes to make them fit and while this is ok I wouldn't bother if you already have one the right size albeit on another diff.

Edited by Playsatan2

Cheers, I've tried and tried to take the nut off the flange on my old diff and can't get it, havnt got an airgun.

I did think about drilling the holes but i wasnt sure if that was safe or not.

The flanges are the same size. Just the holes that are slightly out.

Dilemma...

Put old diff back in and probably break it tomorrow at knockers...

or drill holes to fit...

or somehow get old flange off!

Whats the best option? Drill?

Drilling is afe and people have done it before with no problems although if you already have the correct one there I'd be inclided to use it.

With the diff fitted to the car have you tried undoing the nut by applying the breaks and getting a big breaker bar on it? The one thats off the car, take it to a mates with an airgun?

Trying the breaker on the flange nut just now (the new one thats on the car).

Chances on getting someone with an airgun at this time of night..or even in the morning before knockers is very slim.

Thought about drilling in situ but dont think i have the space to get the drill in.

**** it, Plan G

Old diff is going back in, so at least i can go to knockers and have fun breaking a diff, you never know it may not break just yet :D

When I come to change the diff again, I'll be making sure I have the tools to swap the flanges.

Thanks for your help playsatan :D

Drilling is safe and people have done it before with no problems although if you already have the correct one there I'd be inclided to use it.

It is?

Personally i wouldn't unless it was set up on a machine. Doing it by hand drill, you run the risk of the prop being out of balance with the diff and that creates a new set of problems.

Edited by AlanG
It is?

Personally i wouldn't unless it was set up on a machine. Doing it by hand drill, you run the risk of the prop being out of balance with the diff and that creates a new set of problems.

I wouldn't either but it has been done. Obviously it would have to be machined to ensure that balance issues never ensued. John, yes shafts are different but so are the hubs so not just a case of getting a new set.