Aberdeen Monthly Meet

Might have to find a new meeting place for next month after the report in todays P&J!

AN INDIAN restaurant at Dyce has been found guilty of a string of food preparation offences.

In a “total disregard for hygiene”, defrosting prawns were left in a tub on the floor, open poppadoms kept underneath a fly-killing machine and food was stored in fridges that had stopped working.

A “long, black and curly” hair was found on top of a cheeseburger waiting to be served and cooling rice and cooked chicken was left out in warm temperatures for hours at a time.

Environmental health officers condemned Zara Bar and Brasserie during a trial at Aberdeen Sheriff Court yesterday.

They visited the restaurant on Burnside Drive at Dyce several times between July 2006 and January 2007 but they said that, despite repeated warnings, little changed – apart from a brief and limited improvement in November 2006.

Sheriff James Hendry said at the end of the trial: “I have no hesitation in finding them guilty.”

Angela Carson, senior environmental health officer at Aberdeen City Council, said: “The general level of cleanliness was terrible.”

The court heard that a fridge that had broken down was being used to store cooked meat and raw meat.

The restaurant entered a plea of not guilty by letter when it was first charged, but management representatives have failed to turn up at court almost every time the case has been called. No one was in court to represent the restaurant yesterday.

Proceedings had already been adjourned several times, and the court decided to take the “unusual” step of going ahead to trial in their absence.

Raw meats stored alongside cooked meats and food left uncovered and exposed were among the charges.

Sheriff Hendry deferred sentence until June 11 to hear mitigation from Zara representatives. Restaurant staff were still taking bookings for tables last night.

:D:P:D

Definately not eating there anytime in the near future then!! :rotfl:

Yeah... me neither... haven't had anything in there for quite a while but don't think I will for a long time now either (although someone here did say maybe it'll help drop the prices a bit :rotfl: )

ach is at a?

moray/highland lot take you to resteraunt, let you eat, then on way back to car tell you how it was in the papers a dead seagull was found in fridge. still better than a live one i suppose.

would have poped through for a change as had the day off but only released there was a meet at 7 ish.

• 4 weeks later...