Couple Of Performance Tests

Drove a Porsche cayman earlier. Lovely looking car but got to say that it wasn't brilliant. Performance is good, but not earth shattering in a straight line. Manual gearbox was a touch fiddly. Very easy to get 4th instead of 2nd on a downshift. Seating position was dreadful if you're my height. Couldn't really get my knees under the wheel and leave enough room to steer well. Sounds good though when giving it stick.

I'd have said a sorted WRX will have no issues keeping up with one or even getting away, especially when the going gets straight.

Secondly - new BMW M3. Didn't drive one but there was one in front of me round the private race track that is luckily shaped identically to the raith interchange. It looks fantastic, and it appears to go well, but either the driver lacked the balls or again .... it's not as fast as the price seems to dictate.

I would have said my WRX at 290/290 would have been at the cayman's level. Certainly on the straights I'd have it beat, but I'd need the aid of a brick wall to stop quicker.

An absolutely lovely car with 2 things wrong with it - could clearly have taken twice the power and coped incredibly well with it, but then it becomes a 911 beater and that's not on for Porsche. And secondly at 6'4" I'd need to remove my shins to make it driveable.

Not a patch on the R8 I drove tail end of last year. :D