Upgrading Speakers - Easy Job?

Guys, The Speakers in my GB270 are pish for want of a better word. I'm deaf :D and like to play loud dance tunes, all I can hear is crumph crumph crumph from the standard jobbers with any base at all. ;)

Anyone upgraded the speakers themself? Easy job to do?

Cheers, Al :P

forget upgrading the rear speakers. upgrade the fronts with a quality crossover and good tweaters. silk dome if you prefer softer vocals, more life like. i ve tried a good few. next, you ll need to look at a sub box of a sort. then, 2, 2 channel amps to run the fronts and the sub. head unit will run the rears. use good quality wiring all the way. you ll not need anything more! all depends on your budget of course. but this is where to start. hope this helps some. cheers......

forget upgrading the rear speakers. upgrade the fronts with a quality crossover and good tweaters. silk dome if you prefer softer vocals, more life like. i ve tried a good few. next, you ll need to look at a sub box of a sort. then, 2, 2 channel amps to run the fronts and the sub. head unit will run the rears. use good quality wiring all the way. you ll not need anything more! all depends on your budget of course. but this is where to start. hope this helps some. cheers......

Why forget the rears? Any reason? I'm just looking to pretty much upgrade the standard speakers with something that will fit in the same places.. If that makes sense???

Why forget the rears? Any reason? I'm just looking to pretty much upgrade the standard speakers with something that will fit in the same places.. If that makes sense???

errrr gets a bit technical but simply do you drive the car sitting in the back seats ?? lol honestly tho, any good 2 way speakers will straight replace the front end, add an amp. go from there. if you need big bass, just keep adding it....

errrr gets a bit technical but simply do you drive the car sitting in the back seats ?? lol honestly tho, any good 2 way speakers will straight replace the front end, add an amp. go from there. if you need big bass, just keep adding it....

I see. Cheers. Are the standard ones easy to get out?

The only problem i had when I replaced the front ones on my classic was the depth of the new ones. They can't be too deep or they'll hit the window but a set of spacers will do the job nicely ( if you need them)

indeed, spacers required if new magnets to deep. but really, dont bother replacing them if you intend to run off the head unit. plus, check if head unit has pre outs. they are needed to add amps.

Edited by craigo
Thanks mate, will check it out. I just want a simple, good sounding system. Something that the standard Subaru is not unfortunately. Its a shame, as the new VW's have excellent sound systems (The one in my Mk5 Golf GTI was excellent)

question...... what are you looking for. bass, mid, vocals. i ve never heard anything decent ever run on just a head unit amp !

hi Al, modding didnt take you long! the guys who put my stereo in said theyd tried changing the head unit,changing the speakers, amping the standard speakers and came to the conclusion that both the speakers and head unit were crap! ive got a decent head unit, front components, 6x9s in the parcel shelf and a 4 channel amp running them all- huge improvement but without going silly on money or weight. your welcome to have a poke and listen when we catch up

hi Al, modding didnt take you long! the guys who put my stereo in said theyd tried changing the head unit,changing the speakers, amping the standard speakers and came to the conclusion that both the speakers and head unit were crap! ive got a decent head unit, front components, 6x9s in the parcel shelf and a 4 channel amp running them all- huge improvement but without going silly on money or weight. your welcome to have a poke and listen when we catch up

I thought that the newage Stereo's in Scoob's were Sony units? Anyway, yeah I'll have a wee look at yer car when we catch up. :angry: