Track Days - Car Maintenance

With two track days coming up, and a service due in April, would you either:

Give the car an oil and filter change, do the track days and then have the car serviced afterwards

or

Service the car before the two track days

It's a 5 year service if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Edited by Steve700
With two track days coming up, and a service due in April, would you either:

Give the car an oil and filter change, do the track days and then have the car serviced afterwards

or

Service the car before the two track days

It's a 5 year service if that makes a difference.

Cheers

I'd go service before and then another oil / filter change afterwards (and maybe new brake pads by then)

Logic being to get it in best shape for the track days and then spend a couple of quid to keep it in good nick through the summer until the 60k service. you might want to ask OilMan on here or via Opie oils web site for advice on what oil to have put in for the short window between service & after the track day loading.

Which track days are you going to?

Cheers, David

I'd go service before and then another oil / filter change afterwards (and maybe new brake pads by then)

Logic being to get it in best shape for the track days and then spend a couple of quid to keep it in good nick through the summer until the 60k service. you might want to ask OilMan on here or via Opie oils web site for advice on what oil to have put in for the short window between service & after the track day loading.

Which track days are you going to?

Cheers, David

Thanks David,

I'm at Brands on 22nd Feb and Donington on 14th March.

I had new brake pads (Godspeed Jag Pads on the 335mm upgrade discs) in the summer and have only done about 3000 road miles on them so far so they should be fine.

Steve

Edited by Steve700
  • 2 weeks later...
Any other opinions on this, lads and lasses?

Cheers

Steve

Totally agree with david ;) do Oil etc before the Trackday afterwards is far too late :o If you Oil life is 50% before, then it will be FUBAR'd before end of track time

I reckon a trackday normally is about 150-200 miles but that equates to about 5-15 K miles (driver track dependant) of standard road usage so factor that in when checking brakes

Donington can be a bit harder on the brakes than Brands IMHO

ads had 70% left (classic) I did donington on a Saturday and Sunday had credit cards for front and rear Brake pads, I had to beg borrow some Pads to get home. so take some spares. like OIL, brake fluid, Pads if unsure.

Also look after yourself :rotfl: rest regulary both you and the Car, drink plenty of Water, it's suprising how much hard work it is concentrating :D go out for toooo long You or your car WILL make a mistake :D

IMHO

Tony

Totally agree with david ;) do Oil etc before the Trackday afterwards is far too late :o If you Oil life is 50% before, then it will be FUBAR'd before end of track time

I reckon a trackday normally is about 150-200 miles but that equates to about 5-15 K miles (driver track dependant) of standard road usage so factor that in when checking brakes

Donington can be a bit harder on the brakes than Brands IMHO

Thanks lads.

I was definitely going to give the car an oilchange before the two trackdays, but perhaps I will go for the full service now.

Then get an oil change again after them both.

Steve

Edited by Steve700