Brakes

Hi Folks

Defo going to be upgrading my brakes as I have done in two sets of standard disks in 18 months (and three sets of pads) with track use; I am now on my third set of brand new disks. I'd rather get my hands on good 2nd hand stuff, but no one seems to be selling anything at the moment, so I might as well have a look at the new stuff.

Can anyone point me in the direction of Websites selling Brembos / AP Brakes with prices? I'm looking for Calipers/Discs/Pads. There is so many variations and I don't have a clue!

Car is WRX MY06 PCD 5x100

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks

John

John - just learn to go round corners faster :iagree:

Are you thinking of going for bigger brakes altogether with new calipers and discs etc.

Do you want to just go for better discs?

Have you thought about the Godspeed kit that retains the 4 pots but allows fitting bigger discs.

I've looked into brakes as a next upgrade for my car and the Wilwood 6 pots always take my fancy as bang for your buck. My mate Paul has (obviously much smaller) Wilwoods on his Westfield and the calipers really do look like some mighty fine bits of kit.

Stephen: Dunno what I want, just looking at the options. I'd like some APs but cost is prohibitive. The Godspeed kit looks the part, but would it really provide enough stopping power on a 400bhp (if I get to that) car going around Knockers? I suppose I could use that kit in addition to some 2nd hand Brembos...

Russell: That is the most likely option I think, others have suggested this too. Trouble is, these come off of an STi so 2nd hand discs wouldn't fit because of the PCD. So I might have to buy those and new disks to match, lieky to cost a grand? I take it the Brembo calipers bolt straight on?

sKunk: Thanks for the link mate. £600 for discs though, pfffff!

Edited by TheWelsho
sKunk: Thanks for the link mate. £600 for discs though, pfffff!

That's £600 with the caliper conversion as well no? Once you have that on you only need to replace the rotors in the future as you re-use the bells. Drops the price of replacements way down.

That's £600 with the caliper conversion as well no? Once you have that on you only need to replace the rotors in the future as you re-use the bells. Drops the price of replacements way down.

Aye I suppose so. I was wondering though, do I need the converstion with the STi Brembo brakes. or can I get away with just disks and pads?

Aye I suppose so. I was wondering though, do I need the converstion with the STi Brembo brakes. or can I get away with just disks and pads?

I have the godspeed bell & rotor setup on my 03STI. Went straight on with no messing around.

I got the 2 peice disks with Ferrodo 2500 front pads for £485. Will be less next time as I won't need the bells just the rotors.

I have the godspeed bell & rotor setup on my 03STI. Went straight on with no messing around.

I got the 2 peice disks with Ferrodo 2500 front pads for £485. Will be less next time as I won't need the bells just the rotors.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is Bells and rotors? I'm guessing rotors are the discs...

Aye John, you tend to find uprated brake kits or uprated discs have seperate discs and bells. The bell takes the heat from the disc to stop it from warping (i think) and when your due new discs , you just need to get the rotors.

Have a look at some pics, your standard ones will be one piece but the like of AP's, etc are a two part kit bolted together.

Edited by Frank C

HI M8

Can you not get the Alcon kit for your car?

I was in the same position, wanted the Ap's but just couldn't justify the big bucks for them, so i managed to source a very good second hand set for a fraction of there original cost, and to be truthfull i aint complaining about what i got for my money, not as good as Ap's but deffo not that far of, yeah and i know people will come on saying it cost X amount to replace the disk's when Fecked, but all i will do is go for the goodney bell and disk set up next time, cheap at half the price.

They came of a 04 STI and fitted to a P1

Cheers Dougie

John - the godspeed kit I was talking of was the one that retains the original WRX calipers.

Yeah, I got that, but I was just wondering if the standard calipers would do for the track. As WUZ said, the Brembos would be ideal, but I'd need to get some disks to go with them cause the disc's PCD wouldn't do me (if I got a 2nd hand set from an STi user). So will the Brembos work straight off with the discs, or do I need that kit thing that's used with the standard calipers?

Thanks all for your help and suggetions so far.

HI M8

Can you not get the Alcon kit for your car?

I was in the same position, wanted the Ap's but just couldn't justify the big bucks for them, so i managed to source a very good second hand set for a fraction of there original cost, and to be truthfull i aint complaining about what i got for my money, not as good as Ap's but deffo not that far of, yeah and i know people will come on saying it cost X amount to replace the disk's when Fecked, but all i will do is go for the goodney bell and disk set up next time, cheap at half the price.

They came of a 04 STI and fitted to a P1

Cheers Dougie

Dougie, is this what you are talking about? Click here.

Yeah, I got that, but I was just wondering if the standard calipers would do for the track. As WUZ said, the Brembos would be ideal, but I'd need to get some disks to go with them cause the disc's PCD wouldn't do me (if I got a 2nd hand set from an STi user). So will the Brembos work straight off with the discs, or do I need that kit thing that's used with the standard calipers?

Thanks all for your help and suggetions so far.

John if you got a set off a pre 05 STI they'd fit. Remember they were PCD 100 as well :iagree: