Dilemma! Help Me Choose

John who has actually looked at the car to try and sort it? I take you have removed all the mods and have it pretty much back standard ( engine wise ), if so is the fault still the same?

Andy.F Duncan at Hypertech, Subaru Falkirk, Subaru Ayr. Turbo and Downpipe have been removed and its still the same. I have had the MAF changed and the ECU reset and it seems a lot better, but its pulling back at 2.5 - 3K revs. The ECU remembers how far it pulls back the ignition and the next time the fault occurs, it pulls it back from the point it pulled it back previously. Therefore the effect is accumulative.

I don't think there is any need to throw 4k at the car, i'm sure someone can get the problems sorted out. Keep the car you have it's a beauty.

Why thank you, looks like that is what I'm going to do. The 4K woudl have been spent on it in the long run with bigger brakes etc etc. All I'm doing is hitting it up all in the one go. If I get a new car, I'm not allowed on track with it! So the old one with the internals sorted will make it much more realiable and safer.

J

Andy.F Duncan at Hypertech, Subaru Falkirk, Subaru Ayr. Turbo and Downpipe have been removed and its still the same. I have had the MAF changed and the ECU reset and it seems a lot better, but its pulling back at 2.5 - 3K revs. The ECU remembers how far it pulls back the ignition and the next time the fault occurs, it pulls it back from the point it pulled it back previously. Therefore the effect is accumulative.

Is it worth getting them to swap out the ECU for another one to fully rule it out?

If you are going all out in your mods instead of replacing it with a new one then is it worth getting an aftermarket ECU "system" to give you a bit more control as well?

Is it worth getting them to swap out the ECU for another one to fully rule it out?

If you are going all out in your mods instead of replacing it with a new one then is it worth getting an aftermarket ECU "system" to give you a bit more control as well?

Yeah, that makes sense. Be jsut the thing to open up the engine to find nothng wrong then boil it down to the ECU. What is an aftermarket ECU system?

Hi ........I researched the TSL cat heavily before I bought one while back. I note you are running one which I doubt is the issue. However, the guy I bought it from had the following problem with his car at that time :-

WRX_Rich

Scooby Regular

View My Scooby

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its a flyer but won't pass an mot with all cats back in ... for some reason when you hold 2k revs out of gear it hunts and runs very rich alls fine other wise which is a pain in the Ars come mot time - i ve been told by a few they think its a ecu problem

all part of modding I guess

and yes the sports cat didn't hold me back at 320 bhp

********************************************************************************

edited :- formatting was all over the shop ( & still is !)

My CAT failed today but that's not my point. The guy with the WRX above is a decent fellow and can perhaps advice on your problem as he was "down a similiar road"

Worth a try my good man ?

And yes - mod the car but keep it sensible within nice limits if you want a speedy chariot with peace of mind

Cal

Edited by ~ ~ Cal ~~
Hi ........I researched the TSL cat heavily before I bought one while back. I note you are running one which I doubt is the issue. However, the guy I bought it from had the following problem with his car at that time :-

WRX_Rich

Scooby Regular

View My Scooby

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its a flyer but won't pass an mot with all cats back in ... for some reason when you hold 2k revs out of gear it hunts and runs very rich alls fine other wise which is a pain in the Ars come mot time - i ve been told by a few they think its a ecu problem

all part of modding I guess

and yes the sports cat didn't hold me back at 320 bhp

********************************************************************************

edited :- formatting was all over the shop ( & still is !)

My CAT failed today but that's not my point. The guy with the WRX above is a decent fellow and can perhaps advice on your problem as he was "down a similiar road"

Worth a try my good man ?

And yes - mod the car but keep it sensible within nice limits if you want a speedy chariot with peace of mind

Cal

Thanks mate, I'll drop him a PM.

Aye, modding it seems to be the best choice. Look elsewhere for what though?

Personally I'd spend the money on sortig the issue first and then see what is left for mods afterwards... last thing you want to do is spend a few grand on a stronger engine and find that it's still exactly the same running wise.

john just go buy a walbro fuel pump and a pressure regulator! and try that before you go getting engine rebuild coz if i'm rite in thinking you still run standard fuel pump??? yes ? no? is answer is yes get it changed for new pump!!!!! and see how that goes.

I'm sure that tweedle dum would help or do it for you if you ask him!!! and that will save you 4k and you get to keep your mods on!

john just go buy a walbro fuel pump and a pressure regulator! and try that before you go getting engine rebuild coz if i'm rite in thinking you still run standard fuel pump??? yes ? no? is answer is yes get it changed for new pump!!!!! and see how that goes.

I'm sure that tweedle dum would help or do it for you if you ask him!!! and that will save you 4k and you get to keep your mods on!

James, the pump has now been replaced and the fuel pressure tested and its still doing it! I have had the ECU reset and a new MAF fitted and it is much better, but I can feel it beginning to blip at the 2.5 - 3k mark again so its back to the drawing board.

James, the pump has now been replaced and the fuel pressure tested and its still doing it! I have had the ECU reset and a new MAF fitted and it is much better, but I can feel it beginning to blip at the 2.5 - 3k mark again so its back to the drawing board.

wot pump did u get? and wot pressure are you running?

Edited by james666

The ecu via the knock sensor is obviously detecting some form of noise and hence trying to safeguard the engine by pulling back ignition, so i'd be inclined to look at what can be causing the noise. This might not be engne related at all. It could be something reverberating at that revs and the knock sensor is detecting it and telling the ecu that it is the engine detonating.

A couple of suggestions in a moment are probably unlikely to be an issue,but shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, such as gearbox noise, parts vibrating against metal or even quality of fuel. Could even have been caused by sediment in the fuel tank which has now restricted the fuel filter and hence caused a drop in 'volume' of fuel even though pressure is there. These suggestions are as i said unlikely, but only you know the history and use of the car.

Could the knock sensor be a particularly sensitive example? For the sake of a couple of minutes changing, it might be worth swapping with someone, resetting the ecu and see what happens from there. You'll know how long it takes to see the symptom come back.

There's probably a hundred and one other suggestions as to the cause, but it's something else to be going on with and think about.

Just back from Egypt to find my planned mods may not be such a good idea after all! I was thinking of following in your footsteps Welsho, but I think I'll wait and see how this resolves.

On a more constructive note; My '06 WRX had a noticable flat spot around 3,000 revs. It was most noticable when I floored the throttle, but also showed when driving Miss Daisy. I have been using V-Power exclusively for the last month or so and today I didn't notice any flat spot. Could be co-incidence, but I notice it has been mentioned in a reply here.

Good luck anyhoo,

Steve.

Just back from Egypt to find my planned mods may not be such a good idea after all! I was thinking of following in your footsteps Welsho, but I think I'll wait and see how this resolves.

On a more constructive note; My '06 WRX had a noticable flat spot around 3,000 revs. It was most noticable when I floored the throttle, but also showed when driving Miss Daisy. I have been using V-Power exclusively for the last month or so and today I didn't notice any flat spot. Could be co-incidence, but I notice it has been mentioned in a reply here.

Good luck anyhoo,

Steve.

If you go for a GB270 then your only going to want to mod it whereas if you spend the money on your existing rocket and get it running properly you will also get more ponies i imagine. Modding your existing chariot would be less money in the long run.

If you go for a GB270 then your only going to want to mod it whereas if you spend the money on your existing rocket and get it running properly you will also get more ponies i imagine. Modding your existing chariot would be less money in the long run.

Indeed, hence the reason I have opted for that. :)