Running Problems

Hi Folks

Need some advice. After the heady hieghts of a new turbo and visit to AndyF giving me 340bhp and 390 ft lbs torgue, the car is running like a bag of spanners! I don't get it, It was running great after the re-map. It was mapped on 95RON with octane booster and Andy told me to get V Power in it. With a quarter tank left in it, I filled it to the brim two days later with V Power and Octane booster for the track day, again the car was working great. I set off for KH on Sat morn and filled at Cumbernauld with V power. The trip to the track, on track and on the way home was fantasic, the car was working brilliantly. I got up this morning and took the car to the local place to get a puncture fixed, car working great. After the repair I took off to the local shell station. 15 minutes later, I took off in 1st gear pushed the gas and there was little power from the car, it then took off and I changed up into 2nd and again, it was cutting and boosting. I got to the station, put in 20litres of V power and the car is murder. It appears to be worse in lower gears and lower revs, just seems to flat spot then splutter a bit. It's not a violent reaction, jsut runs crap, right through the rev range.

Any suggestions or help appreciated. Car is MY06 uprated VF34 Turbo - Meercat sports cat downpipe, decat up pipe and ECUTEK remap.

Thanks

J

Edited by TheWelsho

The way i read that, is it started running bad AFTER the new fuel went in.

So first off, you SURE you put V-Power in? There's always a chance of diesel? Don't wanna make you look stupid, but i come across this thing every month or so. It's either that, or a really bad tank of fuel. Might be worth going back to the station and let them know, they may have a problem.

muppets probably filled the v-power tank at the garage with 95 ron stuff and just left it, if thats the case the folk buying v-power are running aboot with crap fuel and the folk who buy the unleaded stuff are running about with tank fulls of v-power, it does/has happened before

The way i read that, is it started running bad AFTER the new fuel went in.

So first off, you SURE you put V-Power in? There's always a chance of diesel? Don't wanna make you look stupid, but i come across this thing every month or so. It's either that, or a really bad tank of fuel. Might be worth going back to the station and let them know, they may have a problem.

No, the car started playing up on the same fuel that I used on the way to KH, when I was at KH, on my way home from KH and to the station to fill up. the car was low on fuel, so if I put diesel in, it wouldnt be going at all. It's all very strange.

muppets probably filled the v-power tank at the garage with 95 ron stuff and just left it, if thats the case the folk buying v-power are running aboot with crap fuel and the folk who buy the unleaded stuff are running about with tank fulls of v-power, it does/has happened before

But its the SAME fill-up that I had at KH, besides, 95RON wouldnt do that. According to AndyF, the ECU will learn the new fuel very quickly, and will re-learn when V Power is used. The adjustment on the way up however, is not as fast as it is on the way down.

Edited by TheWelsho
Any CEL light on? Try disconnecting the MAF sensor to see if it stalls. Maybe leave the battery disconnected over night too.....saves you hunting about for the plugs under the dash.

Oh, forgot to mention, no CEL! I wouldnt know what a MAF sensor was if it jumped up and poked me in the eye, I'm a total muppet with cars I'm afraid.

:( You know where the panel filter is on the car? Follow the big box that is in, onto a tube and in that tube is a sensor. It should be sticking out the tube with a wire going onto it. With the car running, disconnect it. It should stall. If it doesn't, the MAF is knackered, though in some cases even a new MAF can have the car keep running....God knows why.

At least try it and see.

I am with dave. MAF sensor is the likely cause. Probably the recirculating of oil after KH caused the MAF to become contaminated.

OK, so what do I do? Will this cost me a fortune? How do I prevent it from happening in the future?

Cheers!

Edited by TheWelsho
I think replacing the MAF (about £70) would be the logical first step. It only takes a couple of minutes. If ya need help there are many that could help including myself if you need it.

Thanks mate, how do I get one of those and does this mean that this will happen every time I take it on the track? Is the car ok to drive the way it is?

Thanks mate, how do I get one of those and does this mean that this will happen every time I take it on the track? Is the car ok to drive the way it is?

I am not saying 100% that it is the maf but it is one of the likely causes. Not it might not happen everytime on track but you have to understand how much abuse the car gets on track so it is not surprising when something goes wrong on a road car. I would be replacing the maf asap just as a precaution. I would take the maf out and see if it looks like any oil contamination is on it. that MIGHT give you a clue.

John did you get really low on fuel at any point? Could have been just the dregs in the tank.

Mine was running like a three legged Donkey over the national fences a few weeks back, but it was some dodgy fuel from a station on London road. I filled it up at my favourite watering hole and drove it carefuly for a hundred miles or so before stretching the legs again and it was better.

I am not saying 100% that it is the maf but it is one of the likely causes. Not it might not happen everytime on track but you have to understand how much abuse the car gets on track so it is not surprising when something goes wrong on a road car. I would be replacing the maf asap just as a precaution. I would take the maf out and see if it looks like any oil contamination is on it. that MIGHT give you a clue.
Thanks buddy, but I don't know where the MAF is to take it out!
John did you get really low on fuel at any point? Could have been just the dregs in the tank.

Mine was running like a three legged Donkey over the national fences a few weeks back, but it was some dodgy fuel from a station on London road. I filled it up at my favourite watering hole and drove it carefuly for a hundred miles or so before stretching the legs again and it was better.

Stephen, the low fuel light was on! But it wasn't of for long but I must admit that that thought crossed my mind! Ill fill upi, drive slow for a bit see what happens. In the meantime I have mailed AndyF for advice. Failing that I'll do the MAF thing if I can work that out!