How good is your mechanical knowledge ?

Is does my nut in that I am too afraid to tackle the most menial of tasks. It made me wonder how much most of the SIDC community know about their cars and their associated components ? From the Squirrel to those who never even look under the bonnet, from Cambeltown to Peterheid !

My knowledge has increased greatly ( w.r.t modding) but I wish I knew how gearboxes, diff's, brakes, steering racks etc work and the like....

Has anyone every been on night classes ? I would love to tackle the basic jobs but it's all down the confidence. I have huge respect for the likes of Wuz & Higgy who will tackle any job in their own garage. The risk of making an erse of these type of jobs is simply too high for me.....even changin' brakes pads - not exactly a job you want to c0ck up given the safety perspective !

Cal

well i love working on cars

i like you craved to no the ins and outs , so as my first job i was a mechanic and i qualified all three levels so i no most things like cambelts and the things you mentioned

but after a 4 years of working in cold garages only a year after qualfying i had to pack it up due to suffering server dermititus althought using the nessecery hand balm ang glove

very sad to stop working on motors but i still indulge in my own car repaires in fact i done my cambelt wen i bought my car

advise the classes if you can find some place to do it

cheers 

craig

Hey Cal

The isue of working on your own car is having a sound knowledge of mechanics as you have said , but it also comes in having confidance in your abbilaties.

I have been working on engines since i was 11 years old , my dad was always bringing me things home from work to take apart and possably fix.

I reebuilt my firse bike engine when i was 15 and it ran for two years before i blew it up. Halv the battle is having good tools  aswell.

I always watch people when they are working on cars and bikes as i can steel  ideas for my self.

Taking a night cours is a good idea but remember   A litle bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.   oh and dont be afraid to ask for halp as some mistakes can cost you a lot of money.

Higgy

Ps   all the best with watever you do.

My knowledge is limited, infact i wud say very limited, but im keen to learn. Luckily one of my mates knows cars in and out, his knowledge astounds me and my other mates all the time, he makes many of his own parts for his current car, its last dyno was 460bhp on 95ron fuel, it will soon be more than that, as its always, as he puts it 'in development', and a few things have changed since its last run.

i could do most off the work on my vauxhalls over the years even done an engine rebuild[:(] and helped my mate change 3 engines into a nova.i can do somethings on the subaru (breaks pads wheels and services) but allways trying to learn as it is total diff than my vaux redtops.  my best mate is a mechanic and he dose most off the work  but i do get stuck in and try to give a hand.......

i dont see the point in taking ya car to a garage just for pads and discs/small jobs when  you can takle most simple things ya self. but then again iff i had the money i would send it into the garage lol.

how to section would be great for the simple jobs off course..  people can learn how to do some things to there cars learn a wee bit about them and keep there cash for more v-power[:D]

am a bit scared i start something and bu99er it up [8-|]

That's why you bring it to me......................so I can bu99er it up for you.

Cal - always happy to explain the things I do to your car so you can try it yourself the next time!

Russell

i always wanted to be a grease monkey when i was a wee lad and was lucky enough to work in a garage over my summer holls as a kid

sadly i never got the chance to get a placement [:(]

i will stick my hands into stuff like changing engine oil/fluids brake pads/discs/fluid/wheels and all that kind of bolt on stuff

but when it comes to the internals and timing thats when i get a bit wary

i can also be a bit heavy handed at times so when it comes to the more intricate stuff i'll leave it to someone who knows what the hell their doing

thats also one reason i work offshore, why do when you can get someone to do for ya  [:D] [:D] [:D]

That's true M8...and up until about 2 hours ago I would have agreed with you...................but things change so quickly that some times you are better looking after yourself.

Cal knows what I mean...he's the last on a good running list.

Russell

Ah hear ya brother........will see you in 7 days for a gid chat........

Back on topic :- 

It's the little tricks that only experience can give you..................example - I once fitted a dump valve myself - pretty damn easy, But trying to fit the standard re-circ was a nightmare.

It' was only when Wuz & Marc helped me out that I knew to put the silicon inlet manifild to intercooler hose in a cup of hot water before you attempt fitting it. And that the IC sits sightl off to onside when you fit it. Also when doing on oil change you need to pre-fill the filter. Which takes a good 10 mins and a lot of oil to fill properly. The to disconnect the crank sensor....

Brake pads I reckon I coukd tackle after watching Wuz. But if I make a boo-boo then who the hell is gonna come round to my garage and fix it at 2000hrs in the evening. It's a different story if I had another car to cut about in but the Scoob is my daily runner....

Anyone got any "how to" guides while we are on the subject ?

Cheers

CGS

I am the same a few bolt on bits and bobs are all i am comfortable with.Although i am fine with that as was said a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing especially in my case as that is how i blew mine up. Oh and cool site i like knowing how to do it but would still just rather get it done properly.

if i earned plenty then i would probably pay someone to do some of the work. fantastic scottish weather and all that. when my box went i would have done it my self but not very willingly. due to having had jacks fail before and knocking cars of axle stands by comming across stubbern bolts that required a bit of force. there was a post on here about someone being killed just before christmas due to above reasons and i wont forget in a hurry.

Good thread Cal[Y]

But there is a few things to consider before working  on you own time.

1. You need all the right tools.

2. Do you have the time.

3. Can you afford to make a mess of it.

4. Why get yourself into grieve if you can afford to get a garage to do it for you.

There is probably more but as always it is great to learn it but doing it is totally different in practice.

i work in a garage for 3 years when i left school, done an apprentiship, then after it decided i didnt want to do it, ive always worked on ma own cars, n do alot of stuff for mates cars n that, not afraid to get ma hands dirty, but when i bought the scoob, i thot, where do i start with this, but after 2 years of owning it, iv learned alot about the car, and would happily carrier out the jobs that need done to it, if u dont know much about cars etc, dont even attept it, take it to the garage, even with wot u think of simple things, doing a nite course etc is ok, but u reallt need hands on experience of working in a garge to really know wot ur doin.

if u want something done, n think u could do it yourself, but not really got the experience to do it, just take it to the garage, may well save alot of hassle in the long run.

fuzzy