Gauge Fitting Glasgow Area

Dave,first of all sorry i didn't get to yours on Saturday as my mate turned up on Friday night that i hadn't seen for a while so i ended up legless.

I'm getting rid of my OE gauges on top of the dash and putting a new stereo in there so i want to fit 3 new 52mm digital gauges in the centre console where my old stereo was and they are going in a single din pod that i am sourcing.....something you could undertake ?

Del.

Will do mate,guys out of boost gauges at the moment so will be 2-3 weeks probably.....still like you to look at the header tank for me as i think that's what's corroded and is seeping coolant...got to work 12hr shifts all week and Saturday am,is anytime else at the w/e any good for ya ?

Del.

No worries Del. Just give us a bell to make sure i'm still there. [;)]

Andy, i haven't actually given that a go yet, but i now have a spare KL, so i'll try soldering in some longer wires. I'll send you a PM if it works out, otherwise i'll get Coulty to send you one, while i'm sitting in the ER with second degree burns. [:P]

Just out of interest, where were you thinking of mounting the lights?

No Dave, no soldering at all.

All you need is, an ink marker, a small drill or dremmel if available and some duct tape. Oh and a junior hacksaw if you want to be fancy about it.

You want the how to?

So you've not actually lengthened the wires from the KL box, to the lights?

No Dave, no soldering at all.

All you need is, an ink marker, a small drill or dremmel if available and some duct tape. Oh and a junior hacksaw if you want to be fancy about it.

You want the how to?

So you've not actually lengthened the wires from the KL box, to the lights?

IIRC Dave that one i bought off you only had a short cable from the box, it is currently getting it's power from back of the cigarette lighter.

Colin, where are you getting the power for yours from??

Righto - commom sense bit out of the way first.

Sit in the drivers seat and make sure you can see where the led's are going to be past the steering wheel. If you have the wheel very low, have an very small aftermarket wheel or your girly jesus hair is in the way give up now.

Making holes in your expensive car should not be taken lightly and cutting up a brand new kocklink isn't for everybody so think on before doing something you might regret. I'll offer my sympathies but but not my cash if you fubar it.

Still interested?

Tools required - Small philips screwdriver, small drill or better still dremmel, ink marker (colour is down to you you), electrical or duck tape, junior hacksaw.

Take the clock surround off, on my classic this consisted of 2 screws into the top of the cowel and a couple of poppers. Now take a screwdriver to the knocklink box and remove the cover. Take the empty case and tape it to the top of the cowel and see if you can refit the cowel with the kl in situ. I know it'll fit on a classic facelift dash and have seen it done on a newage but I'm not too sure about the early classics. The reason I'd recommend doing this just now is if it fits into the dash at this stage you know the gubbins will fit before you start making holes and then realise it isn't going to go. It'll also let you know how far back/forward you'll have to make the holes.

If you're happy it'll fit in there take the kl case and flip over the cowel so you are looking at the top (inside) of it. Using the holes in the case as a template use an ink marker and mark where the hole's need to be drilled. Use a ruler or something to make sure you get them centred between the screw holes. Take care to make sure you get them the right way round as they are not equally spaced and this will determine whether it'll run from left to right ot right to left. If I remember correctly the left to right config worked out better due to the fact it pointed the kl wires back over the top of the clocks. Drill the holes out or use the dremmel, try and start off just too small and make them slightly bigger until you get a perfect fit. I found the dremmel conical grinding tool was ideal. Remember the red is bigger so don't make them all that size or it'll look rubbish.

Here comes the teckie bit. Take your knocklink, without the case, turn it over and drop the leds down through the holes you've just made. Tape it into place.  Drop the loom down over the back of the clock and wire in in just the same as any other kl. I won't go into that as there's already dozens of how to's on the subject.

One extra step that I did that you may or may not wish to do involves the hacksaw. I used it to cut the now redundant kl case in such a fashion that when I screwed it back on the leds still stuck out past where I'd cut it but when it was taped down none of the circuit board bore any of the weight. Probably me going one step too far but hey, I was making it up as I went along.

Carefully replace the cowel and make sure you're happy with the fit and get ready to impress your friends and family with what you've achieved in the last twenty minutes. They'll look amazed but probably not for the right reasons.

One other thing. I haven't tried this myself but did consider making the holes through the top of the dashboard. They probably wouldn't show up just as well during bright sunshine but would make a bitchin"heads up display" on the windscreen.

Any jobs in where you work Colin? Looking for some free time myself....

No worries Del. Maybe fine to fit them once moved in, but i'll see how the missus takes me saying that first. [:)] Got a transporter myself, but if i do need some extra help, i'll ya a bell, cheers. [H]