I'm missing my Scooby!

As most of you know i did the sensible thing and got rid of my bugeye WRX about 2-3 months ago now for a bit Mondeo Diesel....

The other night i passed a Classic who was giving it some and the burble sounded lovely.... then yest there was a DBM (same as my old car) classic in my car park at work and it were lovely....

Ah well... next year when i get my track car things will be better... just hope i can stretch my budget to a type ra or something, cheaper alternative being a 205 gti or last option is an old beetle, spend a year or so upgrading suspension, brakes etc etc then drop a scoob engine in it.. only issue is my mechanical skills are "decent" but never tried anything like that, plus from reading i think there is a fair bit of fabrication in the engine bay and again thats outwith my skillset...

We will see....

Adam,

Your prolly a good man to ask cos you have driven the scoob and the gti, is the GTi as good as they say cos i've never driven one... not expecting anything like the push into the seat of a scoob or anything but i just want something that when stiffened up and stripped out is heaps of fun on track...

The appeal of the Pug is that i've never been on track and for around £1.5k i can buy one, upgrade the necessary and get on track then if i get a bit carried away and smash it its not the end of the world!!

Must admit i have a real thing for RS Turbo's...!

My options for a 2nd car next year are - 205 GTi 1.9 - R5 GTT - Rover 220 Turbo Coupe (outside bet) - Old Classic Scoob.....

Any critique on above, or other suggestions?

My budget is anywhere between about £1 and £3.5k although i would rather spend less on purchase and use the money to upgrade brakes and suspension then throw in a couple of buckets....

Vote for a 205GTI here too [:D]

Just upgrade the suspension, get slicks, cage, and 4 branch manifold and you are away. great handling little cars and no worries about expensive breakages. Oh & btw I had a Scoob for 3 years too so can compare both.

You can have a great little track car for about 1.5 to 2K easily. Fee & Adam and I had a few good track days this year.

Daz :D

i would say get a nova and slap a c20xe in ......you will have loads off fun in that .and thay can be scary fast . or put a c20let in it then you can laught at the scooby as you fly past then on the st8 lol

LOL,  I dont think you are going to convince Adam that the c20xe engine is as reliable as a 1.9 8V GTI engine.

I also had a c20let engine for many years, 3 turbos & 1 total rebuild later I finally got saw the light and got a Scoob.

Daz

I would go for the 205 as well, thats only cause i bought one last week [:D]

You dont have to spend lots to get a good one. I just got a mint one for 500 notes,  just spend the time looking for one and you will find it.

I was very luck as this one has had an engine rebuild and a rear beam rebuild along with all mots and reciepts for over 6 grand.

All work had been carried by a main peugeot dealer in either kirkcaldy or dunfermline form from when it was new in 1991 to two years ago. Thats 13 years it was looked after by a main garage. I feel guilty takeing it apart.

Al