4 Questions....

1- Splashed out on new 18's with toyo T1R Proxes.  I don't know if I'm driving it differently or a little faster, but it seems a little bit more "twitchy" in handling now (more grip at front and the back end has been out a couple of times).  Any ideas anyone?

2- Also the tyres are directional - so I made sure left went on left according to the tyre marking. I got confused about the yellow and red lines/marks on new tyres, as I thought you were meant to have both sides red outside or inside (eg matched pairs).  Anyone got some pics or info on this and to make sure I got the tyres in the right direction of rotation?

3- Also I found this bit on the ground after I changed the wheels and tyres, I'm not sure if it's a scooby part or if it is a bit off the jack I used. Any ideas Grant? :- 

IMAGE_00066.jpg

4- Also, my discs have a little bit of surface rust on the non friction parts.  What can I clean them up and paint them with? (I'll probably give the callipers a cleanup too)

Hi

1 - When was your tracking last check ? New tyers sometime show up off sets on your tracking..

2 - ? call toyo - there detail are on their website.

3- Am will check the parts maunal and will get back to you soon.(hope some can spot it for you sooner)

4 - never touch the disc.. painting them is like putting oil on them.. (car no stopyyyy) !

Callipers are ok.. keep the paint away from the rubbers.

Four Wheel alignment done two weeks ago at Hypertech.  So no problems there!

I wasn't planning on painting the friction surface of the discs... lol.  The bit that I want to tidy up is a bit rusty is near the wheel contact, parrallel with the ground.  I'll post a picture later.

1: 18" tyres have a smaller side wall than 17's and prob your using a wider tyre, these two will show up the bumps and lines on the road more..i.e it will tramline more, you'll get used to it.

2: the tyres will have arrows on the sidewall showing you which way they should go (the arrow should be pointing forwards)

3: it looks to me like a pin from a trolley jack, check your jack to make sure, it could've been holding on a wheel or the main jacking mechanism.

4: a bit on sandpaper should clean em up a bit, dont paint it as it'll flake off soon and you may make the mating surface where the wheel mates with the disc uneven (only takes a tiny bit of dirt) leading to a wobbly wheel.

I'm assuming that the yellow/red lines that your talking about are down the line of the tread...  if so then they have no real bearing to you, they are just for warehouse identification....

Also, I just put on 16s from the old standard wheels that I had on the Shed, (aye, non Alloys) and yeah I notice so many more bumps and the lines in the road and a slight shimmy.... which I am planning on going to get the banace checked on the tyres, (I never had the tyres fitted my self...) just the wheels...

Someone told me before that the red and yellow dots on the sidewalls of the tyres are to indicate where the valve should go beside the tyre - apparently the tyre is lightly strengthened at that point - I think yellow was for beside the valve and red was for the opposite side to the valve.

Someone must know this.  Rarely have I ever seen a tyre fitted with these done properly. 

Brian [:)]

22b - I had 16's before, so they were pretty forgiving.  I'm slowly getting used to them.  There is a lot of grip there, and it is pretty progressive in the dry.

I'll try a power drill or angle grinder with a light polishing/abrasive fitting to take off the surface rust on the non-friction surfaces of the discs.  I just don't want that redish/brown rust showing on the rear discs as it totally spoils the look of those lovely wheels.

IMAGE_00064.jpg

i always use copper grease between disc and wheel and aint hud any bad vibrations. you should get away with painting them ok i think. use two pack stuff you get for brake calipers. philip_w painted his calipers with hammerite and i was surprised how good it stayed up to the job so u could just use that.

I always wondered about those lines and dots, so it's good to get some info - ta :D

Cheers BigDavie.  Glad u like the spanky look.  I think your suggestion is a good one & cheap is good! I'll get the wire brush and some caliper paint (Do halfords sell that in black?)

I'll need to find my tub of copper grease to put a thin layer on the mating surface between wheel and disc, as it's lost somewhere in the abyss of my garage.

Someone told me before that the red and yellow dots on the sidewalls of the tyres are to indicate where the valve should go beside the tyre - apparently the tyre is lightly strengthened at that point - I think yellow was for beside the valve and red was for the opposite side to the valve.

Someone must know this.  Rarely have I ever seen a tyre fitted with these done properly. 

Brian [:D]

Oh right, THAT dots....  I was assuming he was talking about the Lines that normally run around the tread... thats what i was talking about, but yeah if your talking about tots on your side wall then yeah, thats pretty much what they are for, tyres are pretty much impossible to balance from the factory those kind of dots that your thinking about are indicating the HEAVY or LIGHT spots on the tyre, and if the Wheel has those markings then they should really be matched up, the wheels should be balanced regardless, as car wheels tend not to have those kind of markings (aircraft have the markings on both the wheel and the tyres)... and even if its fitted slightly off your then correcting for that, thus the better you get it the less weights you have to apply to counter balance....  [y]

Hope thats of some help and has not confuzzled you any...  [:D]