Running ON boost between mods fitted and being mapped!!!!!!!!!

Afternoon,

This morning whilst at a garage delivering my car for its service i was handed a spark plug from a P1 that had the head blown right off it and was seriously melted.

This had happened after the owner fitted new parts/mods to his car and was told the usual-

"Now make sure you run it off boost until you get it mapped"

Im sure we have all been guilty (those with re-maps) of giving it a short burst just to see how the new parts make the car go faster before we get to Andy F or whoever maps your car, when really we know that the ECU doesnt have a clue whats happening and cant react effectively to the crazy new requirements placed on the engine!!!!!!!!!

This plug came from a car that was driven ON BOOST and hard before it got ECU attention and the car has detted, exploded the top off the plugs, damaged the pistons and resulted in some serious engine replacement treatment.

I didnt have my camera phone or i would have taken a photo to show you. Hopefully for us all this post is a harsh reminder of the dangers we face if we decide to open up before its mapped.

My thoughts to go out to the guy with the now broken P1 and hope he manages to get it fixed fairly cheap[:D]

I couldn't agree more mate .

I have already 'booked' my maws Clio to use to get me to work between getting uprated turbo and APS kit fitted next week , and visit to Andy-F for remap the following Monday .

Also , just because it doesn't go bang when trying out new parts before remap , doesn't mean that damage isn't happening .

As you point out, blistered  melted plugs can break-up , Also piston-crowns and heads can get hairline cracks , valves/valve seats can get burnt , pitting on crowns and combustion chamber can also cause hot-spots which can lead to meltdown  . Some of this damage can take weeks or months before  disaster occurs.

Impatience must have been the cause of many expensive engine  failures .

Al.

OK , this ain't a Scooby piston (it is from a Triumph motorcycle ) but it shows what can happen .

6bbe8f72.jpg

This suffered meltdown because ignition-timing slipped causing massive  pre-ignition (aka knock , det , pinking)

Notice that the crown is burnt-through .

The shiney surface is now like the surface of the moon .

There are seize marks on the edges .

Also think about where the molten metal may have gone - oilways , pump , cams . . . .

Al.

Bit of a no brainer really.........i just spent over a week pottering around off boost til i could get my car mapped with its new kit.

Not a hard thing to do if you keep in mind that there is a good chance that you will melt something if you drive like a tw@t.

Some people will just not be told!!! 

[:D]

Ally said-

Also , just because it doesn't go bang when trying out new parts before remap , doesn't mean that damage isn't happening .

As you point out, blistered  melted plugs can break-up

Exaclty, i dread to think where the smashed bit off the top of his plugs went??????????? nasty

My car is going in tomorrow for a full de-cat, up-pipe, fuel pump, iridium plugs, k-n, and i'm not sure what else ! but its not booked in to get mapped till April the 5th, so it looks like it will be a slow 4 weeks trying not to drive as hard as i normaly do[:D]

P.s. Hope he gets his engine sorted out.

Gumball - ae you trying to say that between the time you left Aberdeen with all those parts fitted and getting it mapped by AndyF you NEVER ONCE GAVE IT SOME?

If you say no then...................YOUR PANTS ARE ON FIRE COZ U R A ****![:D]

Russell

Gumball - ae you trying to say that between the time you left Aberdeen with all those parts fitted and getting it mapped by AndyF you NEVER ONCE GAVE IT SOME?

If you say no then...................YOUR PANTS ARE ON FIRE COZ U R A ****![:P]

Russell

Gumball said-Im sure we have all been guilty (those with re-maps) of giving it a short burst just to see how the new parts make the car go faster before we get to Andy F or whoever maps your car,

[;)][:o]