SIDC England

I went to Aylesbury with Warby yesterday in preperation for Germany in August and met most of the people that will be going on the trip to watch the WRC and hit the Nurburgring. I arrived with warby in Aylsebury for the Dyno day and witnessed the following-

We appeared. Most people were already there and this happened

Shouts of hello and i mean shouts

Warm hand shakes

Big Smiles

Bear Hugs between the guys and the girls doing the same

Every woman that appeared was given a kiss and a hug by  the guys (all of them)

Everyone milled around and circulated with every single person there throughout the day. Revs and Type R Pete are clearly good muckers and were always together but i watched closely for a while and everyone at one stage stood and chatted to everyone there.

As a "Newbie" technically speaking or certainly someone they never met before i was made to feel very welcome and was never left standing myself or not having anyone to talk to throughout the whole day.

I continued to keep my eyes peeled to see how it compared to SS. I noticed that they didnt talk about one single person that wasnt there other than to mention "pity hes not here, his car is good". How strange.

We went to the equivelent of the brewers fare, parked up, inside and had a meal...........wait for it...........

WITH ALCOHOL. We got blazing, had a laugh and generally had a good time.

When i asked if that was a monthly meet i kinda got a strange look. These people meet, go to an event, go for a run or something without fail almost every weekend. Its not just people from Essex or Midlands or whatever. They just all meet up.

I think that if i mention COMPARISON now you will get what my point is here? They also mentioned (some) that they look on our forum to be entertained by the arguments we have amongst ourselves !!!!!!!!!!!

Different planet TBH

yeah it was good. a bit of a trek but good all the same. got to a shell garage on the way down and it had texaco pumps?!![:'(] but optimax signs on the handles. popped that tripe in and low and behold got the car on the rollers and they had to stop and take it off. it was detting like a madwoman squat and was not liking the junk fuel i put in it.

Pete filled up at the same pump and when they got his car on the rollers it started pinging and detting all over the place!! his was ordered off as well.

Im going to write a letter to shell complaining that after buying OPTIMAX at 102p a litre.........it nearly smoked my car. If i wanted 95 ron horse toffee i would have asked for it.

clowns

I wasted almost a tank trying to burn it out and eventually around Manchester the knocklink stopped lighting up, and hopefully everything is fine now

Sounds like a fair point Chris,

I made my meet debut at the last trip to the brewers fayre a couple of weeks ago yet i only spoke to about 25% of the folk there....

No offence to anyone and i'm not going to start any of the "clique" rubbish but for whatever reason it wasn't the "warmest" of receptions for a newbie. Especially when you first show up and stand for about 5 mins not actually talking to anyone, there should really be one nominated person that is the "introducer" who should make an effort to speak to anyone new then take them round to meet at least a few folk.....

Anyway, jus my thoughts.....

my thread/post was satrted just cos it was all new to me over the weekend the way it worked down south. not to say that i would slate us, just to pass on my views of how it could be and should be. I know that everyone has a job and does different things but i really think that for some reason 2006 doesnt hold that much for us at the moment other than the fantastic event that Wilky is organising for the summer !! crail was on yesterday and i dont think that was busy with SS members??? would another run as squirrel mentioned be an option for the coming months????

£45 for a tank of fuel is £45 granted but at the same time if you bought food, fags, beer and a couple of dvd's you could come up with the same figure. perhaps we should try and organise as much as we can for 2006 and make sure we have good fun and get along the way we should? i bought my car cos i liked subaru's but also to take the car and do things with people that also owned the cars;.

at my first meet i was surprised at the number of people that were there and how friendly they were, they all had a laugh and enjoyed themselves. but over the last few meets the numbers have sadly dropped? i think that our meetings would be brilliant if more people attended but i dont know if this is due to the fact that there are all these scoobie owners out there and they dont know about us? i have stopped people in petrol stations etc and spoke to them  (much to the embarassment of my husband?) but the only reason i found out about SS was at the fast and modified show. at the end of the day its the people that make what they can out of these meets and make it what it is

Was good to meet you Chris[:D]

Every woman that appeared was given a kiss and a hug by  the guys (all of them)

That's why I keep going, not interested in the cars but you never know who might be there[6]

(think Paul's hoping that one day I might go home in the wrong car)[:D]

Not sure about Danny sharing with you in Germany - he might teach you some bad habits & lead you astray[:D]

Glad you enjoyed it, you never know we might get across the border one day[:D]

Love & kisses (& lots of hugs)

Debbie

what everyone fails to remember chris is that we all have one thing in common,(interest,dream,obsession)and thats SUBARU,so why cant we get back to basics.I remember when going to knockhill or crail used to be superb,its no longer like that as many of the characters have gone,and yes we should be able to have a LAUGH!!,without it being at anybodys expense,or taken out of context!!

Here,Here Chris for a return to how it used to be.THE GOOD OLD DAYS!

Gav

Well said Gumball, know exactly what you mean. Got our own RR Day coming up very soon so will be interesting to see how everybody is with each other,sure it will be a great day[:D] make sure you all bring your wifes/girlfriends along so we can.........meet[:$][:D]

Col.

I can only speak from my own experiences and I can say I haven't been to an unfriendly SIDC meet. I have met a lot of people and some I now consider friends. I don't regret going to any of them and haven't met anyone I didn't like and haven't had cross words with anyone. I even met Gumball on a couple of occasions :D

We meet because we own the same make of car and that doesn't mean we are all going to become bosom buddies but I have yet to be at a meet where there were crosswords. Discussions, Yes but all in a good mannered way.

At the Fife meets I have made a point of speaking to everyone and trying to bring everyone into the conversation but obviously the bigger the meet the harder that is so it is up to everyone to speak to someone they don't know. As Phil says just a "Hello. We haven't met before. I am ...." and off we go.

As for 2006 looking empty Chris. Give me a shout on msn sometime and I can tell you of lots of car related stuff you can get into. So many events. So little time.

Just thought that I would just give my thoughts as I've been reading down this Thread.  I've only had my scooby for a few wks of which I've had 1 Saturday, 1 Sunday and a Monday nights use before things went pete tong.  But I've been logging on daily, speaking away and generally enjoying the story's..

And I have to say that I have been made to feel welcome even thought I actually know a whole two people on here. 

When I tell folk at work about some of the story's and banter some look at me as though i'm strange as they find it hard to understand that strangers log on and chat just because we all own the same make of car..  Its not strange to me, as to be friends or chat to someone you need something in common.. And we do.

Once the jam jar is fixed I will be at mets and say hello's! and  [{]  [;)]