Dead engine (not the scoob)

Was at work today, got a call from Mrs. Plug saying that our crappy Fiat Panda wouldn't start.

"It doesn't sound right, it's making a funny whirring noise when I turn the key". Hmm, thinks I, sounds like a sticky starter motor solenoid. Nothing a good mullering with a hammer and some WD40 won't fix (the joys of owning a banger).

Went home to have a look, cranked it over, not good. Sounded like there was no compression. There's that horrible sinking feeling in your stomach when you think you know what's happened.....

Sure enough, after a dig around under the bonnet, it has snapped the cam belt... must have happened when she tried to start it, we were out in it yesterday and it was running fine. Could have been a lot worse, I take it to work sometimes, and the thought of the belt snapping at 70mph (about 8 trillion rpm, as it's only got a 4 speed box) doesn't bear thinking about.

Looks like that's the end of that then.. anyone want a 750 Panda at a bargain price? Buyers collects...

Cheers,

Plug

Might try and get a belt (not expensive) and have a go at fitting it myself...

Don't think the Panda owes me anything as I bought it for a pittance.. but the Mrs. loves it to bits, and I must admit it has a certain charm.. it ain't fast, but it puts a grin on your face whenever you drive it..

Cheers,

Plug

Before you go laying out cash on a new belt, check out what carpet says - if it's a 16v it will have mashed the valve guides as well as bent the valves. I'm not sure about the 8v version though - a Fiat belonging to an ex of mine threw a belt and it more or less destroyed the top end of the motor, even though she was only doing about 5mph...

16v? You're having a laugh.

It's the 767cc FIRE engine.. 4 cyls, 8 valves, very few horsepower (especially at the moment). Ordered a new belt today from my friendly local motor factors (although it's no longer listed and they had to dig out an old book face-icon-small-wink.gif ). Cost - ten of your english pounds. I doubt one can purchase an Impreza cam belt for that.

I'll have a play over Xmas.. If I can get it running on 3 cylinders, at least I can drive it to the scrap yard...

Cheers,

Plug