Help! My engine is stuck!

Hi folks,

I've been trying to swap out an engine in my 97 (BG5B) GTB but didn't succeed. The big ends went on it a couple of months ago so I thought I would save myself some cash and educate myself by buying a low mileage twin-turbo block doing the swap myself. How hard could it be right face-icon-small-happy.gif? With the wonders of modern technology (Internet search) and Visa, I managed to source a low mileage 98+ (BH5/BE5) TT engine from Import Car Parts. It looks a bit different but I'm confident it will work with my car face-icon-small-smile.gif.

Anyway, I disconnected everything and drained everything that needed drained and attempted to hoist the engine out of the car. Four hours of tugging, pulling and lifting, saw us split the engine away from the transmission by only about 3/4" face-icon-small-frown.gif. It didn't help that the four guys helping me were all Vauxhall men (Non of them are Burberry fashion models by the way). So far I haven't managed to convince them that a Subaru is the way to go. They've all done engine swaps in their Novas, Corsas and Calibras but have never had Touretts like with the Subaru. My other half has already done the "I told you so" thing and all of a sudden that price I was quoted by those good chaps in Perth doesn't seem so high after all.

Sp peeps, anybody got any words of wisdom? How do I get the engine out? Please don't say pull harder. We did that and nearly pulled the car off the axle stands.

In the mean time, I'll keep scratching my head, and try not to look for bargains on cars beginning with 'V'.

Cheers,

Charles.

PS. God I miss the burble!!!!

Sounds to me like you need to remove the thrust fork pivot pin matey!!

On the L/h/s of the box there is an plug that needs to come out so you can remove the pin. (10mm alan key)

Pull this out and it will fall away in your handsface-icon-small-wink.gif

Engine only takes an hour to remove, if that.

Pm me or call me for more detailed info if you need

J

The reason that the engine wont split from the box is because the thrust bearing is held into the centre of the clutch plate.

So when your trying to pull, all thats happening is your getting the travel of the thrust fork giving you the 3/4 of an inch.

When you re join the engine to the box make sure that the ring and the ring retainer are fitted to the clutch cover again.

Slide the bearing onto the input shaft with the fork and re fit the pivot pin you took out earlier.

Bolt the engine together and then push the thrust fork towards the bulkhead. This should then "click" into the centre of the cover and it will be ready for action againface-icon-small-wink.gif

Im surprised that your mechanics didnt just unbolt the cover from the flywheel if they were having trouble. There is enough room to get between the bell housing and undo the bolts.

Anywayface-icon-small-tongue.gif

Why are you pulling the engine up the way? Split the ball joints, track rod ends, get the driveshafts and prop off, and you can drop it down on the subframe. The biggest pisser is when you take the intercooler off to get to the clutch gubbins and starter, when you go to fit everything in again, you need to disconnennect the 2 elbows in to the intercooler to mount it again. I recently put an engine in my 99 GT-B, so if you need any advice, drop me a PM with your phone number, and I'll keep you right.

Craig

Thanks for the advice guys. Hopefully nothing's been damaged from all the pulling and levering. Craig mate, I suppose I didn't try dropping the engine because it looked like it would be easier to lift it and not have to concern myself with removing ball joints, track rod ends, driveshafts and prop shaft. The other reason is that I've never done this before.

Charles.

I finally got the engine out! As you all said, it's a piece of p155 to get out once the thrust fork pivot pin is out. The engine was out and on the workbench within 30 minutes of pulling out the pin.

Thanks very much for the advice. Now for a bit of tidy up and we should be back on the road very soon.

Charles.