Mandatory speed limiters

European Transport Safety Council proposals gain approval from MEPs; mandatory limiters likely within three years

All new cars sold in the EU are set to be fitted with mandatory speed limiters within three years, after a key group of MEPs approved the fitment of a wide range of safety measures for new cars.

The limiters – dubbed Intelligent Speed Assistance, or ISA – use traffic-sign-recognition cameras and/or GPS data to determine the maximum permitted speed in a particular area, automatically limiting engine power and a vehicle’s speed to the prevailing limit.

Read the full article here - https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/103530/mandatory-speed-limiters-due-on-all-cars-within-three-years?fbclid=IwAR1lkf9VBcgIEdRcmTiF3r0J0bH_g_9WAeWFiI2Q6S-xOmfyobXt4b9y4Lw

We need Brexit, and relaxed trade rules where there's a public backlash against so called premium German and dodgy French cars, but a nominal percentage of new Japanese cars (1, 2 or 3 percent max of new cars sold)  can be exempted from the ridiculous and false EU emissions regs.  That would give us back what we need and with proven reliability and first hand real life safety like our AWD and manual boxes instead of CVT!   Sorry Swindon et al, but the public has been conned for years by all this new tech in cars being fundamentally safer and more environmentally conscious lark.

Seriously,   Why the ****** do they put touchscreen gizmos in the centre of the dashboard and try to sell more cars by having bigger screens more programmes and features on that little screen than the competition, that takes the drivers eyes off the road!   (Answer: Maybe cos it's safer than looking at their phone screen!).    Sorry the the rant but part of the world has gone mad.

looking like an older jap Import might be my next car, if we are still allowed in a few years time.

Edited by ccrien

Maybe that's the answer Floz?

Another example of part of the world gone mad / getting ahead of itself:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47332805

bee emms possible future in driverless electric phone app controlled vehicles to compete with Uber for those poor folks that just want to get from A to B in a city?   Suits some, but definitely not for me! 

P.S.  Is it really all in the name of public safety, or is the hidden agenda about an artificially increased cost of new cars, a reduced lifecycle through built in tech obsolescence, and the resultant massive increase in tax revenue collected from the higher and more frequent new car taxes ?   Just being an old cynic, and one that can drive ( and parallel  park even!) using my eyes, limbs and a feel for the car and road conditions.

Edited by ccrien

ccrien, I agree with you entirely - these big screen infortainment systems are no different to using a mobile phone while driving, a total distraction.  And people ask why we suffer so many pile ups on our motorways. What I like about our latest model STI is that you can't even program the satnav unless you are stationary.  Personally, rarely even turn on the radio, prefer to concentrate on driving, a decision that has kept me accident and conviction free for 54 years!!

• Upvote 1
On 25/2/2019 at 20:55, ccrien said:

Just being an old cynic, and one that can drive ( and parallel  park even!) using my eyes, limbs and a feel for the car and road conditions.

1)No leaner driver in last 20 years has been taught how to overtake a car unless on dual carrageway !!!!!

2) They keep slowing down NSP areas to 40 & 50mph, longer double whites and speed cameras on log straights. 

3) big fat dual urban carriageways change speed every 100mtr to 50, 30, 50, 40, 60, 30, 50mph etc 

4) Yet twisty B roads with car cutting trees on every corner & big fat heavy tractors are still 60mph.

And they wonder why there are accidents :(

Tony

On 25/2/2019 at 19:11, ScoobieFloz said:

The limiters – dubbed Intelligent Speed Assistance, or ISA – use traffic-sign-recognition cameras and/or GPS data to determine the maximum permitted speed in a particular area, automatically limiting engine power and a vehicle’s speed to the prevailing limit.

Crazy

So now, i am driving in a 30mph zone and i see kids playng, riding bike or old folk etc i slow down to 20mph.

So when the govement take over my throttle. i hold then it flat to the floor everywhere for my whole journey and never breaking a speed limit :dunce:  awesome every roundabout, corner and junction sideways :lol:

Perhaps Top Gears Chris Harris or Matt le Blanc could show them they possible pitfalls 

Tony

• Upvote 1

Apparently Volvo has just announced today they are going to limit their new cars to 112 mph in the name of improving safety.  

What about all the points you very eloquently make above, Tony?      

Nothing mentioned by Volvo about making  drivers use their senses or improving skills or driving appropriately to the immediate conditions and environment.  Madness. Probably the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by ccrien
  • Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, ccrien said:

Apparently Volvo has just announced today they are going to limit their new cars to 112 mph in the name of improving safety.  

i would love to 60mph in NSL zone but some old codger (im nearly 64yr) is doing 44mph in a 40, 50 or 60 zone and all 2 cars behind are nose to tail and need a 20 mile straight to overtake. Then baseball cap spotty 19yr tries to overtake all 3 cars on double whites on a blind creast. lucky idiot got away with it.

so a max of 112 or 155mph WTF

Tony

Limited to 112mph?  Is that considered a safety improvement?  Our STi will do about 160, but anything close to 100 on a clear, traffic clear dual carriageway is quite fast enough thank you, and such quick blasts are rare indeed.  My speed limiter is Mrs Mac in the passenger seat...

• Upvote 1