WHY WONT THIS FLUFFING BOOT LOCK!?

Hello Everyone,

Set the scene; I bought a '54 Legacy Estate R Spec B the remote locking has never worked but initially the boot/hatch did. 

One day I noticed that the boot had stopped locking/unlocking, at this point i realised half the electrics in the boot didn't work, so I checked the loom and it was very broken. I have since repaired the loom and everything, except the lock, is working. I have checked the continuity of the loom and it is wired correctly. I have taken the plug out under the dash and checked the continuity to the boot, the loom from the front of the car is fine. I have checked for a signal when I lock the car at the plug but i only have a light bulb tester and a multimeter, as far as i can tell there is no signal. I have applied 12v across the lock and it has locked and unlocked. I have interrogated the wiring diagram and from what i can see the Body Integrated Unit is where the power comes from but there is no fuse in this system. 

In a possibly related note, I tried to code my remote to the car today as it "ran out of battery" according to the previous owner and i have just put in a new battery. The remote still doesn't work and i also noticed there is no power going to the pin pad for the thatcham alarm. 

So what would stop the BIU from sending a signal to the boot? Is the BIU broken?

Do you think the alarm having no power is related? What would stop the alarm from having power and how do i go about reactivating it?

Lots of questions there, im sorry. Any light on the subject, ideas, anything please?

Cheers,

Tony

I'm assuming this is a UK car and the PIN pad is for a sigma alarm.

The BIU has a number of fused power supplies as shown below and the sigma alarm will also be fused.

In a Newage Impreza the alarm is usually piggybacked off of a fused circuit but in the Legacy (like the Hatch and later saloon) would think it's integrated with the BIU supplies/outputs.

Legacy Keyless1.JPG

Legacy Keyless2.JPG

Legacy Keyless3.JPG

IMM system.JPG

I would certainly check all the fuses, under the bonnet and also by drivers right knee.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for those Don, 

A christmas miracle happened and the boot now locks & unlocks with the key in the drivers door. I can only assume the BIU had to "re-calibrate" with the lock after is had been disconnected. I did nothing special, just went for a long drive back to my parents for Christmas. Now the boot works. 

I will be tackling the alarm soon so I can get the remote locking going again. Maybe i will have to fit a new S30 Sigma alarm or remove the alarm completely and try use a JDM style key, dont even know if that will work.