Smoke on tick over

Hi guys, I’m need of some help if available. 

My wrx 2004 has developed smoke on tick over while warm. It doesn’t do it during normal driving eg. Anything from 1500 and 4000 rpm but if I stamp the loud pedal it smokes at high rpm or just before changing gear, then if I’m sat still for any longer than about 2 minutes I’ll occasionally or more often recently get some smoke. I’ve been told a couple of things like turbo seals or valve stems... thought I’d ask some people that might actually know a thing or 2 about scoobys. 

Cheers guys, would much appreciate the help. 

Matt

Valve stem oil seals tend to leak oil (into the cylinders) when the car is left standing overnight (or longer), and the real tell- tale for valve stem seals is a puff or small cloud of blue smoke just on starting up in the morning. Not always to the same degree or maybe not every time, but smoke on start up that soon clears is the usual sign of valve stem seals.     If you haven't  seen this then you can rule your valve stem seals out.  Sorry I am no expert on turbo' seal diagnosis.

No that’s a great help thank you, any advice is appreciated at the moment as I’m still kind of new to the scooby world. But it’s more when it’s been running a while for example if I’ve driven it for more than half an hour let’s say then I come to a stand still and sit there, occasionally you would see a suspicious cloud of blue smoke but I was sat up at Tesco last night and it was more constant. To which I had probably driven 20 miles (at reasonable driving) might see if I can get a diagnosis somewhere, just a lot of places don’t want to mess with it as it’s abit special for a lot of garages round by me. 

I agree with Colin and I would start looking at the Turbo as it is a lot easier to get to and check, if the seals on the turbine side of the turbos have gone/going you will be burring oil in the exhaust that's leaking from the turbo. There isn't always a drop in performance or drivability but would show blue smoke.

I would always start with the quick things that do not cost much, if it isn't that it hasn't cost you anything. 

I would check the turbo first - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVTdJ7AQsZw

I would also check the intercooler and see if there is any oil in there which could be collecting there from some oil in the inlet from the PCV, which then gets combusted and out the exhaust.

Both are fairly easy bolt off and on if you have a few tools and cost nothing to check.

8 hours ago, MattJamesWrx89 said:

That would make sense as I’m topping up with oil probably every 4/6 weeks. I probably have to top her up around 1/2 to 1 litre. Like I said I have a lot to learn so any advice is appreciated thanks guys. 

That oil consumption definitely needs professional investigation. Of our six Imprezas/STis owned since 1998, have never needed to top-up between services.. I guess many other members will agree.

• 2 weeks later...