Suspension 1999

Im looking at lowering my classic 1999 subaru in the new year but not shore what would be the best option?? It' stock suspension now and would like it 30mm to 50mm lower front and back? Would springs be ok or would i need to change all....also would doing this effect other driving stabilities??:unsure:

I had BC coilovers on my bugeye made the ride a tad hard but the car felt more planted and responsive also if you just fit lowering springs you need to get all the suspension geometry set up so i would go for a full set of coilovers i know there a more expensive option to lowering springs but at least coilovers are adjustable for all road situations hope this helps as my knowledge is a tad limited :rotfl:

Hi, just to add, be careful about lowering, it does not add stability or anything to the handling of the car! Your Impreza has McPherson strut suspension. Have a look on the basics on Google if you want. To keep it very simple, the McPherson Strut has a serious roll center change with ride height. Dropping 25mm will lower Roll Center by up to 100mm. The Car's roll behaviour is based on Roll Center, Center of Gravity and with lateral force you get a roll torque which is what makes the car lean. By lowering the ca, the distance between Roll Center and CoG increases, so roll torque goes up, and the car rolls more, unless resisted by stiffer springs. This in turn makes the rider harsher.

The GC8 and GD models share the trait in that they tend to roll into the rear corner, so a few degrees more rake, i.e. lowering the front, can remove this trait, though usually only 5-10mm is required. Some folk go for a stiffer rear ARB to reduce the lean into the back corner but again, single bumps are harsher.

There is so much to suspension, but a drop usually ruins a cars ability to soak up roads and can ruin agility too. Once you lower, then you go down the route of changing the front outer balljoints to restore roll center with the Whiteline or RCM Roll Center Correction Kit  parts.

Do you want tol throw money at it or just make it look a little nicer? If the latter, then I'd recommend looking at replacing the shocks with decent KYB ones and springs to lower the car only 25mm or so maybe 30mm at the front.

Either way, the O.E. stuff will be very tired by now...

One thing rarely mentioned, (except by me) is that BC Coils as standard cannot adjust to lift the car back to O.E. ride. You can specify them as +60mm length if you want and springs as low as 4kg/3kg too. Plusher high speed compression damping is available, all within the standard cost. You can play with ride height and geo to your heart's content then.

That' great info buddy I've been looking at a few of those options as it is the car does handle well so I'm going to really think carefully on my choice I didn't realise there would be all those differnces I'm still a bit new to the cars setup so all this information is fantastic great stuff:thumbup:

You might find a set of new standard KYB shocks all round, refresh of any worn suspension joints, bushes etc, and a good 4 wheel alignment will transform / improve the handling totally.    Otherwise Mark Harris's words about lowering only the front just a little, make a lot of sense. 

Thanks ccrien I've been looking at the KYB shocks for all round and your right I've been informed to check all joints /bushes etc for wear makes perfect  sence but maybe lowering the front is good my 1999 model does seem to sit a bit higher at the front...... little bit more saving to do and Ile be good to go.... I will no doubt ask a few more questions near the time thanks guys :thumbup: