Rear Struts (Again!)

The WRX has only covered 43,000 miles, but the OEM replacement rear struts have failed again and after only 20,000 - really noticeable on the way to and return from the Prodrive 30th. Have received new KYB Ultra SR gas struts (already have them at the front) from Camskill and will be fitted soon. Must say the the level of expertise and knowledge at Camskill is fantastic, excellent prices and very reasonable next day delivery charge. Hopefully the SRs will last longer...

John

Thanks Tony - I'm sure you are right! Going back to before 2006, never had any problems with previous classic Sport, Turbo or my RB5 - I assume that they redesigned the rear suspension for the new age models or KYB manufactured a whole load of faulty goods? Several opinions suggest the Ultra SRs will last longer - so far, they have been perfect on the front and I do believe they offer a more planted ride. However, if they last more than 20,000, will be quite happy bearing in mind annual mileage of about 5,500!!

John

Thanks Tony - I'm sure you are right! Going back to before 2006, never had any problems with previous classic Sport, Turbo or my RB5 - I assume that they redesigned the rear suspension for the new age models or KYB manufactured a whole load of faulty goods? Several opinions suggest the Ultra SRs will last longer - so far, they have been perfect on the front and I do believe they offer a more planted ride. However, if they last more than 20,000, will be quite happy bearing in mind annual mileage of about 5,500!!

John

. Really only an 2nd generation cars 2001-2007.

1st classic and 3rd hatch & saloon set up are different.

Tonyp

It is a design fault, well, feature..... The upside down design is meant to reduce unsprung weight but the twin tube motion means the seals get subjected to a lot of movement and the forces acting on the bushes do mean the grease gets cleaned off too easily. Re-greasing the outer bushes often "fixes" the problem for a while. In your case about a couple of years. The Strut damper unit will be perfectly serviceable, but your problem is the outer bush that locates the damper in the main lower body.

I rid myself of the problem by going coil-over, and never looked back. RWU shocks also don't suffer this feature...there never was a truer case of "they all do that, Sir".

Well maybe ringland failure....

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...