Track Car

Well after watching on Saturday I've decided to turn my wrx into a part time track car and weekend toy got lots of bits to fit and sort on the car but looking at pointers where to start and end up following a few threads on here already with good info etc but where should I start?

Strip it? Getting new brakes and tyres fitted soon so after that should it be anti roll bars bushes seats and harnesses etc any sort of order I should follow?

Budget wise thought about 1k should get things rolling eh?

Cheers

Neil

Yep, on the brakes, as much as Godspeed brakes are warrantied for track work, it doesn't make them good at it. I have GS kit all round and don't get me wrong, it's fantastic day to day great early bite and feel but after 4-5 big stops at knockhill on Saturday, they may as well have been made of chocolate. Dreadful vibration. As a result it took a bit of a shine off the day but it just meant I had to cool them more.

Having been down the commonly perceived wrong route of POWER!! I still have fun at track days but in the corners I lack speed due to the standard suspension. You're doing the right thing sorting brakes and suspension first. Also, tyres are very important but if you go too track focused on them I'd be looking to baffle the sump and go for a swirl pot setup. These will ensure the oil stays where it needs to be and that the engine is not starved.

HTH

Edited by lewisscoob

Cheers Lewis good info think tyre wise it'll be toyo proxes or Yokohama a something's not really track tyres but fast road route hopefully read a bit about sump baffles and swirl pots think that come next year

Got to sort some exhaust issues to sort out up pipe cracked and failing gaskets on the rest of the system

Neil

Edited by neill54

brakes brakes and brakes! my AP's made such a huge difference on saturday,giving me confidence that id stop every time

as for power vs weight that was amply demonstrated by me and John Mcgay - my full fat car around 400hp his newly stripped around 350 and acceleration was the same, if anything maybe slightly better for John

Well after watching on Saturday I've decided to turn my wrx into a part time track car and weekend toy got lots of bits to fit and sort on the car but looking at pointers where to start and end up following a few threads on here already with good info etc but where should I start?

Strip it? Getting new brakes and tyres fitted soon so after that should it be anti roll bars bushes seats and harnesses etc any sort of order I should follow?

Budget wise thought about 1k should get things rolling eh?

Cheers

Neil

First point I'm going to make Neil is a warning. Once you start its addictive, it NEVER stops :whistle:

But as everyone else says, brakes and suspension first. Good discs and pads first if your sticking with standard calipers. Coilovers for the suspension, forget about lowering springs, they dont even come close on track.

Then start stripping as much weight of as you fancy, weight removed is cheap power. A stripped 300bhp classic will match a 400bhp new-age easily.

When it comes to power there are a few cheaper alternatives available that will get you to the 280-300 mark.

Have a read at my build, currently I'm sitting out about £2000 and that included the car, although I did get a good deal on a door and bonnet :occasion14:

Cheers Davie I'm hoping I get a few good deals like that myself although i got s cracking desl on a set of sesrs recently!! your build defo helps inspire but the minefield of info on brakes on the net doesn't help me choose!

Sticking with the 4 pots for now so discs pads braided hoses and new fluid first then coilovers tyres and go from there

Going to weight the car first then weigh everything Ive stripped out!

Neil

For weight saving and having a fully stripped interior doesn't make it look the best or most comfortable if you drive it daily too.

My suggestion for interior would be to remove all the sound deadening beneath your carpets then replace the carpets and trim. That will save you approx. 12kg, then remove your spare wheel, jack and tool kit etc when on track. This way you've shifted some weight but still got the comforts of the interior.

Brakes is definitely a must for track, depending on budget uprated discs and track/fast road pads is cheapest, then you should consider a newage brembo caliper upgrade then there is the full blown AP racing set up. All depends on your budget but the more you spend here the better.

Suspension, a set of BC coilovers can be had for under £700, but if that's too much to start with then you could do the Anti roll bars, anti lift kit and droplinks which will stiffen up the car and make it noticeably handle better before going for the coilovers.

Looking at the above you could easily be spending £1000s already but do it bit by bit and develop the car as you go, with each mod you will be improving the car and make it better each time.

Keep us updated, start a project thread, theres plenty folk on here willing to give help and pointers on each step of the modding journey :icon_salut:

Rich

Thanks rich

Interior wise I'm going to strip as much as I can but as you say try and have a slight comfort level carpets will go but think ill devise a mat system for non track days door cards I'm going to replace them with plastic or fibre glass going to build a cage too plan to try and have the seats as low as possible too fixed position no runners

Going to go round the car tonight and get pics of everything for a before and after and get it weighed this weekend

Ill do a thread when I get all the stuff sorted!

Neil

I wouldn't worry about the door cards to sart with Neil. They don't weigh much as is. Use the money, as everyone says on brakes suspension and tyres to start with. If i keep mine i'll use new age brembos as they are probably the best upgrade value for money wise. Oh, the sound deadening behind the dash is bloody heavy.

johnny

Cheers johnny I'm going to do all the jobs that don't cost any money first skint at the mo trying to get a holiday booked in the next few weeks so keeping cash for that mrs moaning as usual!

Lots of bits to come off and get cleaned up arches to free of rust etc etc

Neil