Maf Sensor Lasts 4 Weeks

I need help,i usually go through 3 MAF Sensors a year, however over the last year i have been replacing now every 4 to 6 weeks and at £120 a time. Codes are MAF and speedo sensor, the speedo has started to come and go and every time the speedo goes "check engine" light comes on, press clutch and let revs go to idle and warning goes off, had this for a bout a week then the MAF Sensor goes. I have replaced the last 2 every 4 weeks.

The car is a WRC555 TYPE RA LIMITED 1998, it has been re-mapped by AF. It only runs on tesco momentum 99 and if i put different fuel in the maf goes (i know that so always 99 now)

Something is sensitively wrong, any help or advice is most welcome,

Many thanks

Paul

Your maf won't go just because you change fuels. That has nothing to do with the maf. It may not run nice on other fuels but it shouldn't affect the maf. I run my car on vpower and have never had an issue. My maf has lasted years and still going strong.

What air filter are you using? cheaper ind. kits wreck mafs. It sounds as if something else is wrong.

Have you tried resetting the ecu?

johnny

Edited by johnnyr6

Your maf won't go just because you change fuels. That has nothing to do with the maf. It may not run nice on other fuels but it shouldn't affect the maf. I run my car on vpower and have never had an issue. My maf has lasted years and still going strong.

What air filter are you using? cheaper ind. kits wreck mafs. It sounds as if something else is wrong.

johnny

Agree

Sounds like a bad air filter. Too much oil in the air filter and oil getting stuck on the maf.

johnny

Hi Jonny, thanks for the reply got a standard subaru air filter and fairly new, i will check out if there are leeks or oil anywhere, its very strange, dont know about this speedo, only happens if i gun it a bit the speedo just stops then kicks in a day later.

Thanks for the help on the airfilter

Cheers

Paul

johnny

Sounds like you would be better cutting your losses and changing your ecu to a speed density one like simtek or syvex as these don't use maf sensors therefor no longer need to replace. Check AndyF website for more info. Plenty people now running these ecu's I have simtek in mine as daily driver and it drives great. Hth

Graeme