Classic Impreza Track Car Build/restoration Project

With close to seven years of Classic Impreza Turbo ownership under my belt I have decided to take the next step and buy another one!

I was always torn between keeping the car comfy and stripping it out for track days. But common sense prevailed and I just settled on the usual mods and kept it relatively comfy. I also wanted to completely strip and restore the car binning anything rusty or worn. I did the suspension a year and a half ago (the thread is still on here somewhere) and after that I decided that I wouldn't be doing anything like that on a daily driver again as the car was off the road for weeks.

Now I have found the solution hiding in a barn somewhere in the English countryside.

scrap1.jpg

scrap2.jpg

scrap3.jpg

scrap6.jpg

scrap5.jpg

scrap4.jpg

At this point you may be thinking you're mad... and yes I probably am. But It was only £300.

It's a 1998 2.0 Sport and was missing the following:

ECU

Engine

Some of the loom

Steering wheel

Boot

Bonnet

Driver door

Front and rear bumpers

Wheels

Exhaust

Quite a bit really!

Apparently this was brought by somebody at Prodrive and given to his wife as a gift. At the time it was fitted with various Prodrive parts. About seven years ago it was taken off the road and the engine taken out for use in another car. Since then it has been striped of the various missing parts. The car was then left in a barn for seven years.

I picked it up last winter and trailered it back home where it sat under a car cover during the winter. Now the work to transform it into a turbo powered track car begins.

****Before anybody starts to tell me how there is no point doing a turbo conversion due to the time/cost/insurance etc please don't worry. This car is being used as a shell only. All the non turbo parts are being sold or binned and the car rebuilt from the ground up.****

Please note I have limited funds/time/resources/equipment/training/skill etc. This may take me some time!

The reason I didn't bother in the winter...

1.jpg

My home for quite a few days while I strip the interior:

2.jpg

4.jpg

Slowly the interior striped is striped out. Oh and removing sound deadening... is my new favourite hobby! I found a hammer and chisel works best but you do have to be careful not to catch any seems as the metal is so thin!

11.jpg

12.jpg13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Always handy to have a girlfriend with a practical car for trips to the dump!

5.jpg

Some bits taken out! Check out the surface rust on the dash beam!

23.jpg

24.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

In total the sound deadening weighed in at 12kg plus a further 3kg for the foam/rubber on the firewall. So 15kg was worth the effort! The front an rear seats also weigh a ton! You wouldn't believe how heavy until you lift them all out but they really do weigh so much! I wish I had weighed them before I dumped them.

Much better. Just a little bit of sound deadening left to chip off, last few bits and bobs to remove and a tidy up.

22.jpg

I did manage to sell a few bits including the struts, a front brake calliper and the door cards.

Edited by FMJ

Oh mate youve taken a big one on there...good luck and keep the build updates coming :icon_salut:

Cheers! Well here the next part:

The outside (thanks to a little bit of sunshine at last!)

25.jpg

26.jpg

What I had to contend with at the rear:

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

Rear cross member and subframe removed along with hubs, lateral link arms and drive shafts.

29a.jpg

Rear Diff out.

29b.jpg

The space left behind.

30.jpg

Prop shaft removed from gearbox.

31.jpg

Next target, the fuel tank.

32.jpg

Done.

33.jpg

A fuel tank shaped hole.

34.jpg

Strangely the part that put up the most fight was the filler neck! The screws that hold it in and the top were stuck solid all they did was round off. Drilled them out in the end. Now all that's left on the rear of the car are some hard fuel and brake lines, the boot hinges and the boot seal!

Thats some build, its really interesting see you go about the work and the different stages being taken back, cant wait to see more. Do you have a mechanical background or are using information from various areas?

Thank you :) I have always preferred to do things myself rather then pay somebody and it tends to be a mix of trial and error with some research on the net. I am quite mechanically minded but have zero training.

I have made more progress and will put pics up when I get a spare ten minutes. Today I have started to self teach myself mig welding... mixed results there so far!

So here's the next round of pics:

The front end:

34a.jpg

35.jpg

Drive Shaft and Wishbone off as well as the hub.

36.jpg

Leaving the steering rack and front subframe.

37.jpg

A mornings work and getting the ball joints out of the hubs was a bitch!

38.jpg

Front subframe. Now you see it.

39.jpg

Now you don't.

40.jpg

Not too badly rusted up front either.

41.jpg

More bits and bobs from the front.

42.jpg

43.jpg

Gearbox mount.

44.jpg

Followed by.

45.jpg

Getting the gearbox out safely on your own is really not an easy task without a hoist or lift!

Gearbox gone.

46.jpg

The shell so far.

47.jpg

Grate project you got thare mate and no ramp just the trusty trolley jack and the wheels well done will b keeping a eye on this 1

Cheers, it's so light now you can pretty much lift it off the stands by hand!

As for the sound deadening yeah it's a nightmare. But I have found that getting rid of the sticky residue left behind is far worse then chipping off the deadening itself. Brake cleaner works but a heat gun and a rag works better... luckily there is nothing left to set alight!

That's some project you've started, good luck with it.

Best way to remove sound deadening is in the winter months after a heavy frost. Use a chipping hammer and it shatters into big chunks, leaving very little residue. A wipe down with some paint thinners takes off the rest.

If the car is bare inside, 2hrs does it

That's some project you've started, good luck with it.

Best way to remove sound deadening is in the winter months after a heavy frost. Use a chipping hammer and it shatters into big chunks, leaving very little residue. A wipe down with some paint thinners takes off the rest.

If the car is bare inside, 2hrs does it

Sounds logical! Shame everything else I want to do is better suited to the summer! If I had though about it I would have done it when it was still cold.

So another two days off and despite it being overcast it stayed dry so I got on with some more bits.

First removing the tacky tar stuff that the sound deadening leaves behind.

My method of removal:

48.jpg

Brake cleaner also works buts it's an expensive way of doing it as you would use loads. Probably also die from the fumes!

The tar.

49.jpg

So you heat the tar and wipe it with a cloth and off it comes. Thicker bits needed a scrape with the chisel. A few cloths and small burns to my finger later and we have the results:

50.jpg

Not bad but then again there is still this... as well as some in the boot!

51.jpg

A quick hoover around makes it look a bit less daunting as some of it was loose.

52.jpg

After many hours.

54.jpg

55.jpg

Also removed the last few bits from the chassis. Brake servo/master cylinder, brake lines and fuel lines.

57.jpg

Door seals, central locking motors, more brake lines various clips redundant fittings, some trim and the brake bias valve and bits.

58.jpg

Completely empty engine bay.

62.jpg

The project so far

60.jpg

59.jpg

63.jpg

61.jpg

Next job:

56.jpg

Once that is done I literally have a bare shell. The only bits left on the car are bits inside the doors. I would like to swap the electric windows for manual ones but cant find them anywhere! Locks and handles etc will remain but I have removed the central locking motors as it wont be needed and is just extra weight.

I have sourced a drivers door and boot so they will go on soon (mainly because they are taking up room in the house/loft). Then I will be on the hunt for a facelift bonnet and will be striping the old underseal from the chassis. Doing a spot of welding and POR-15 aplenty.

My mate restores old classic cars and no longer uses POR 15,

Epoxy Mastic 121, goes on better and harder wearing and less prone to peeling. Do a Google search, plenty good write ups

Never heard of it but I will look it up!