Budget Track Car

• 5 weeks later...

Wee update time, and this brings the car almost up to date. Certainly up to date for how it was at Kames last month.

My visit to the Autosport Show in January also let me check out seats. The white WRX Ra had Sparco EVO’s fitted, and these fitted me perfectly. Those ones had cost me £100 each from a friend who buys and sells rally cars, but that was back in 2005. Nowadays those same seats are nearly £400 each, ouch. That would blow the budget on a £2k track car. I wasn’t too impressed with a lot of the budget priced seats available, until I found the OMP TRS. They were comfortable and fitted me nicely, and although they are a steel framed seat they are still FIA approved and are only 1-2kg heavier than the much more expensive fibreglass ones, but a huge saving on price. £268 from Peter Lloyd Rallying – for the pair, delivered.

My machining friend made me up the 2 seat mounts that bolted to the original Subaru seat points from 3mm stainless plate, exactly the same as OMP sell for £70 each. I did however buy an OMP seat adjuster for the drivers seat, as not everyone’s 6’2” who will drive it, this cost £35, and bolts between the seat and the mount. Another bonus of these seats are they can be side or base mounted which made fitting the adjuster easier, and allows for more forward and rearward travel than the standard Subaru seats offer. This let me set my seating position lower and further back than usual and will help a little with weight distribution and centre of gravity. I may buy a similar adjuster for the passenger seat to allow the same. Including the mounts and adjusters, they still save more than 10kg on the originals. This also let me remove the original seat belts and another 3 kgs saved.

IMG_9441.jpg

I’ve also bought an OMP suede steering wheel to replace the skinny original, far nicer to grip.

IMG_9427.jpg

• 1 month later...