Group B Rallying Coming Back

Michelin and Rallying with Group B are pleased to announce the UK’s only multi-venue rally for Group B cars and other rally cars of significant note: The Michelin Rallye Groupe B.

Sponsored by Michelin, the rally will take place over the bank holiday weekend of 25/26 August on the roads of Cheshire and North Staffordshire, with Special Stages in the grounds of castles and stately homes and service at Oulton Park race circuit.

The event is Rallying with Group B’s take on the fabled spectacular stages of the RAC Rallies of the 1980s and will be run as a National B Event under the General Regulation of the UK MSA. It will incorporate the provisions of the International Sporting Code of the FIA and Appendices K and J, both for competition and demonstration.

Rallying with Group B’s members have already reserved 60-plus places so there should be cars to suit every taste that will help recapture the heady days of this iconic era of rallying.

Regulations and further details for the event will be issued as soon as possible and will be available at:

www.rallyegroupeb.com

Steve Dolby, Michelin Product Marketing Manager, comments: “Michelin is delighted to be involved with the Rallying with Group B Trust on this spectacular event.

“Michelin has a strong commitment to motorsport, demonstrated by the fact that we are at the top of today’s World Rally Championship and we were also there during the glory days of Group B on such iconic cars as the Audi Quattro and Peugeot 205 T16. Therefore, it is only natural that Michelin is involved in this event which aims to recapture the feel of one of the most memorable periods in rallying’s history”.

co-incidence or what, There was a BBC4 programme on last night at 1.50 am about the Group B rally days- interesting programme, fantastic cars but a few bad accidents.

Agreed, they were simply awesome and sadly banned due to incredibly bad crowd control. Mind you what sort of nutters would stand in the road with 500bhp coming at you sideways? Hopefully the event you mention will be properly supervised and we will see more Group B. One of the advantages of being 64 is that I was there in the forests in the late 70s & 80s to witness the machinery (and noise) first hand!!! At the time, my car was AVO RS2000 Mk 1 no. 25 (with full Janspeed extractor system)

John

Edited by joshuajames

I was a co-driver in those years in a Mexico - till we rolled in Wales, that was my last time doing that, lol. Cannot remember what group we used to rally in, but looking back it was underpants changing stuff a lot of the time - and we were amongst the slowest hehehe.

That BBC 4 programme was on again last night. Just unbelievable how irresponsible it all seems now compared to how safe it all seems these days, but stunningly good fun.

Watched the BBC4 programme at lunchtime on iPlayer, the massive hairy moment before they go through a cattle grid at 7min40 in is on the Isle of Man ... wish i remembered going to watch them when i was a kid, my dad says he had me out there watching them but I can't remember it :( gutted