Log Book Loans!

Hi everyone .....anyone heard of Log Book Loans or had any experience with them ....or advice you can give me on them?

One of my friends who bought a scoob (wont say what kind but quite cheap and in a very bad way) its been totally reconditioned/resprayed etc but now a letter has arrived from these people saying the car belongs to them :o as a loan was taken out against the car!!!! and basically to hand the car over! no hpi shows up on a check either

Hope someone has any info on this re...how does the law stand on this?? Dvla don't want to know!!

Thanks

Must admit that reading this thread worries me up a bit.

How can a company claim to have a financial interest in a vehicle when it is not shown on any HPI check - Asuming she had one done.

I personally would first of all hide the car if possible then write a letter to said company and ask them for proof that there is finance outstanding on car. Ask them for a copy of the contract that was signed. This will prove that it was not your friend that is liable as the contract is not in their name. And as there is no data showing against the car on HPI, Tell them to go to the courts if they wish.

If they are a non legit company (loan shark) then they will probably avoid that as they dont wish to be counter charged with bad practice under the FSA rules.

Hope they work it out and soon.

:occasion14:

Possession perhaps? :Scottish-flag:

A receipt for purchase of the said vehicle probably showing reg and VIN numbers. Then it would be up to the law to prove that the previous seller didn't have the right to sell? Surely we must have some legal eagles in our midst?

Scary thing is with situations such as this, if the previous seller didn't have the right to sell, then the current owner will have no right to the goods. :mellow:

I'm guessing here - but I think it might be to do with the loan type.

HPI will shows finance used to purchase a car - this is a loan taken out secured against the vehicle which I think is different. Would HPI even know a loan had been secured against the vehicle?

I'd be sceptical that the loan company had any right to the car once it had been sold... but could be wrong.

Citizens Advice Bureau probably the way to go to avoid solicitors fees short term.

Citizens Advice Bureau

It sounds like a grey area to me - especially in Scotland where I'm pretty sure we're more protected than in England. Often these English companies just try to enforce their rules on Scotland without knowing the law - but again, I'm only guessing this might be the case here.

I have a friend in edinburgh who this very thing happend to, it turned out the previous owner had secured a loan from some dodgy loan shark and had used the car as security.

The loan sharks had managed to get my friends address via dvla, they then turned up at his door demanding the car.

Lets just say it didnt end well for the loan shark an his heavies, who after a small scuffle ended up gettin nicked for aggravated theft of a vehicle, my friend is a copper and just happened to have a few of his copper friends there at the time lol.

According to the Hire Purchase Act a buyer of a car, which is still subject to a hire purchase agreement, will get good title to the car if the following conditions are met:

The buyer did not know that the car was under hire purchase therefore buying the car in good faith believing the seller had the right to sell it

The buyer is a private buyer and not a dealer or a finance company

however there is no way to check if there is a secured loan on a vehicle.

English baliffs cannot come to scotland and reposess, that is theft. the only way a the car can be reposessed is by a Sherrif Officer appearing with a court order or with your concent if neither have one. but i doubt a sherrif officer would even turn up without one.

and all these answers are assuming the car was bought in england and taken to scotland.

if it was bought and sold in scotland then its gonna be a different story.

Logbook loans are franchises for loansharks. so ones in scotland will practice to scottish law as would the ones in england to english law.

definately hide the car else where till its resolved, tell them its your holiday car and its been left in france ;)

Your friend could hide the car But also if they have a trusted friend or two you can change the name on the log book twice over a given period, say 6 months then no loan shark/lender have any standing on the car because its changed owners so many times and also they tend to cut their losses if they have to do much chasing.. Keep it hidden meantime! :occasion14:

I take it that the HPI was done prior to purchase therefore tell them not to worry,repo. is slightly different under Scottish Law and obviously it is a personal loan as it isn't attached to the vehicle,they will also have an indemnity under the HPI check to cover them if info is incorrect(£10000)and as a result they are out of pocket.

Gav

• 9 months later...

The first things which you need to know that under the logbook loans lender only submit the logbook of the vehicle against the loans amount and before providing loan they examine the vehicle because loan amount is completely depends on the vehicle's value. if your vehicle is new then you can arrange a high amount but if your vehicle is old and not in good condition then either you will get a small loans or you will disqulaify for getting loan.

A cheap private plate and address change to a trusted m8 and just dont leave it in the same visable place to often,lock change is good but they might just lift it so best with a tracker if it's a few quid's worth you paid for it,personaly i would sell it and get something else.