how much power can it handle?

hi chaps just joined the site looks good, ive recently bought a version 3 sti with the intention of tuning it to 420bhp (seems a nice round number to me) the question is what am i to do about the gear box,diffs and mountain points to cope with all the power, or will the standard items cope with it all?? then there is the suspention.. all ready have anti lift kit and rear white line anti roll bar and rear strut brace, again are coil overs a good idea or are the original struts ok?? brakes,cooling,etc etc... what the best thing to do? any info would be greatly recived thank you.

hi chaps just joined the site looks good, ive recently bought a version 3 sti with the intention of tuning it to 420bhp (seems a nice round number to me) the question is what am i to do about the gear box,diffs and mountain points to cope with all the power, or will the standard items cope with it all?? then there is the suspention.. all ready have anti lift kit and rear white line anti roll bar and rear strut brace, again are coil overs a good idea or are the original struts ok?? brakes,cooling,etc etc... what the best thing to do? any info would be greatly recived thank you.

Hi mate. Welcome to the forums.

Good choice of car as a base and NOT unrealistic in the power stakes. Nice one.

As you'll appreciate, this is a pretty commonly asked question on here... usual response is probably THIS

Plenty of helpful folk floating about here (some floatier than others!!!) and plenty old info if you raid the archives with the search function.

Wee tip - use View New Content to get all the updated posts since you logged in last... gives you a broader view of the site.

what the best thing to do?

... and I should have added "Rob a bank to fund it all!" :rotfl:

No, better just not to keep count... This was NEVER gonna be a cheap hobby, but that way the pain isn't so bad!

And you're welcome. Hope you enjoy her... get some pics up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, I wouldn't feel comfortable putting that much power through the standard version 3 engine, I'd look to replace the pistons, rods and crank.

In terms of handling and braking upgrades, a coilover suspension such as Tein would really improve the handling. You could look at using the Brembo calipers from later year Impreza's or look into an aftermarket braking setup.

In terms of handling and braking upgrades, a coilover suspension such as Tein would really improve the handling.

Or you could get some suspension that wont rattle your teeth out. Coilovers are not necessary on most cars as they wont use the suspension to its full effect. I would advise a decent set of uprated shocks with lowered springs i.e. KYB shocks.

Or you could get some suspension that wont rattle your teeth out. Coilovers are not necessary on most cars as they wont use the suspension to its full effect. I would advise a decent set of uprated shocks with lowered springs i.e. KYB shocks.

KYB shocks are good and obviously meet manufacturers specification, if you're looking to improve your car's handling over and above the standard setup, replacing with manufacturers spec components would not have the desired effect.

I wouldn't recommend coilovers if you want a comfortable smooth daily drive, but if you're seeking to significantly improve handling, coilovers provide an effective solution.