A trip to the Dark side

Well having a brother-in-law that works in the motor industry sometimes allows you to get longer shots in cars you wouldn't normally be able to (or want to!) but on Friday night (now working for Mitsupishi :barf: ) he turns up on my doorstep in an EVO 10.

After the initial taunts of "get that p*sh away from here, you canny park that at a Subaru mans door" I thought I would have a closer look and then a wee test drive.

To be honest the look of it was beginning to grow on me :dunce: after the initial "its a volvo" jibes the finish and equipment actually seemed pretty decent but, after having a lengthy drive in it I can happily say compared to any impreza (well maybe other than a hatch Del :P ) they are pants. For a £30k plus car they certainly just dont live up to the price tag IMHO and if I was in the budget (which I'm not!) for a car of that performance I would deffo look elsewhere.

Anyhoo, having now had that near death "out of body" experience I can happily say my fever has left me and my nervous twitch stopped and the tablets are working again :lol::hl:

Must admit I've never been in an Evo, but have considered one a couple of times.

TBH, it sounds like the Evo 9 was probably a great car (and some of its predecessors too), but I couldn't be doing with the 10 and its dull-sounding engine, 5-speed box (!) and shopping-friendly suspension (although I guess the latter can be sorted). I actually quite like the look of the 10 though...

I also think they sound rough as buggery with a loud exhaust – quite the opposite of the sweet Scooby burble. Inline 4, bah – boring! Also far more digital interventionism designed to keep you on the road, compared to the (pre-hatch) Scoobies, which are pretty much just AWD and two or three mechanical diffs (once you've switched your auto DCCD off, anyway!). I prefer to drive the car myself, you know?

I imagine your average EVO handles a lot more sharply out of the box than your average factory-standard Scooby, but the Scooby handling can always be tuned, whereas with the EVO you'll always be stuck with that top-heavy and coarse-sounding inline 4 engine...

For me Impreza turbos are just fundamentally more characterful, sweet-sounding and loveable motors :occasion14:

Edited by Mystery Machine

Well having a brother-in-law that works in the motor industry sometimes allows you to get longer shots in cars you wouldn't normally be able to (or want to!) but on Friday night (now working for Mitsupishi :barf: ) he turns up on my doorstep in an EVO 10.

After the initial taunts of "get that p*sh away from here, you canny park that at a Subaru mans door" I thought I would have a closer look and then a wee test drive.

To be honest the look of it was beginning to grow on me :dunce: after the initial "its a volvo" jibes the finish and equipment actually seemed pretty decent but, after having a lengthy drive in it I can happily say compared to any impreza (well maybe other than a hatch Del :P ) they are pants. For a £30k plus car they certainly just dont live up to the price tag IMHO and if I was in the budget (which I'm not!) for a car of that performance I would deffo look elsewhere.

Anyhoo, having now had that near death "out of body" experience I can happily say my fever has left me and my nervous twitch stopped and the tablets are working again :lol: :hl:http://forums.sidc.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Your right, best to go for the Focus RS eh!