Tyre recommendations?

Hi folks,

As I seldom use the Scoob in wet weather, I'm looking for good dry weather tyres. However, they must also perform well down to near freezing temps as I like to take the car out on dry winter days too.

So I'm after something that has maximum contact area (i.e. not too much tread pattern!), but a softer compound that'll stay reasonably soft when it's cold.

Even considering semi-slick 'track day' tyres such as the Toyo R888:

18z.jpg

However, I'm a little put-off by comments from posters on other forums along the lines of "they need temperature to work properly", "they grip well, but when they go - they go very suddenly". Hmmmm...

I'd be grateful for any suggestions, or any experiences that contradict the above :thumbup:

Car is a MY06 STI with coilover suspension - road use only ;)

I suppose I would be thinking if I had tyres such as the R888 and was out on a dry day then the scottish weather did its norm and started raining heavy, then that would be a concern. Having said that im pretty sure Ive seen cars at the glasgow meet with these tyres on so maybe ok.

Fair point, Marko - seemingly they're very good in damp or slightly wet conditions, but they don't cope well with standing water. I guess it should be fairly obvious, but in the latter conditions the advice is to slow down and leave a good gap between yourself and the vehicle in front!

I think that would be OK for me, I don't tend to push it in the wet anyway.

Just not so sure how well they grip in the cold...

Cheers for the replies guys.

Jeez - it's so hard to compare tyres objectively, without any data on compounds, etc :(

Currently running Avon ZZ3. Don't laugh - I know they don't have the same street cred as a lot of the other popular choices, but they at least have a reasonably soft compound, which seems to work well in a range of temperatures (wear quicker for it, mind - but you get nowt for nowt!). Think they've started to pass their best now - like a lot of tyres they seem to get harder near the end of the tread...

Currently running Avon ZZ3. Don't laugh - I know they don't have the same street cred as a lot of the other popular choices, but they at least have a reasonably soft compound, which seems to work well in a range of temperatures (wear quicker for it, mind - but you get nowt for nowt!). Think they've started to pass their best now - like a lot of tyres they seem to get harder near the end of the tread...

I am not laughing because when i bought my RB320 it had Avon ZZ3's on the front and 1 pirelli corsa and 1 pirelli rosso on the back :o . Not ideal obviously! but didnt have much cash left to go replacing tyres after buying it. Got to say though i am not too keen on the Avon's think it will be Pirelli's all round asap, corsa's if i get a bank loan lol.

Toyo Proxes T1-R excellent in the wet and supern in the dry, been running them since 2004! :thumbup:

Got to agree, replaced goodyear eagle F1's with Toyo T1-R's on my P1 and they were great. :thumbup: Didn't like F1's at all as they are a harder compound tyre so take a while to warm up. I never felt like i had much grip and never felt that confident driving the car while they were on.

love goodyears myself for all round use - find them nice and progressive for break away

but for what your after i think toyo's are pretty hard to beat - or bridgestone re070's depending what size wheels your running, excellent in the dry and not too bad in the wet but avoid slimy greasy roads with them

have heard that r888's in the cold are not funny at all.....

• 4 weeks later...

hanks again for all the replies folks :thumbup:

Reviving the thread because an unpluggable puncture is forcing me to change my tyres a wee bit sooner than anticipated :(

Considered all sorts of tyres, but it's really frustrating trying to select the most suitable kind – there's almost hee-haw in the way of objective data out there :brickwall:

I'm after something that will perform outstandingly in summer/autumn/spring dry conditions, and as good as an average summer tyre on cold dry or cold greasy winter conditions. I seldom use the car in proper wet conditions, and never in snow/slush.

Goodyear Eagle F1 – absolutely won't be fitting these, car had them when bought and they were badly 'twisted', apparently as a result of sitting immobile in the cold for long periods. No use to me as the car can sit for weeks in the drive during winter. Also, F1's by all accounts have a comparatively soft sidewall – I'm after a harder sidewall for sharper handling (willing to pay for it with a bit of tramlining, if necessary).

Toyo Proxes T1-R - possibly, although from what I can gather from numerous other threads they're probably not much different from the Avon ZZ3's I'm running at the moment.

The following I reckon would all be an improvement on the ZZ3s in the dry, outside of winter:

— Bridgestone RE070

— Toyo R888

— Yoko Advan A048

...but will they be any worse than the ZZ3s on cold dry/greasy roads? :unsure:

Anyone any experience with any of the above, or have alternative suggestions? :mellow:

Thanks again :thumbup:

Edited by Mystery Machine

been on re070's thro all the weather we have over the last 2 years, cant fault them, been twitchy but controllable

Cheers Neil, RE070 are currently my no. 1 candidate.

How do you find them in the warmer dry weather? What did you have on before the RE070s?

Some folks don't like their wet performance, but I don't plan on using them much in the wet. Also heard they tramline a bit, but I don't tend to find that much of an issue out of town where I do most of my driving.

Cheers :thumbup:

Cheers Neil, RE070 are currently my no. 1 candidate.

How do you find them in the warmer dry weather? What did you have on before the RE070s?

Some folks don't like their wet performance, but I don't plan on using them much in the wet. Also heard they tramline a bit, but I don't tend to find that much of an issue out of town where I do most of my driving.

Cheers :thumbup:

in warmer drier weather find them great, can push harder on them compared to my toyo t1-r on the classic

they tramline very slightly on the road round my area but not too bad, on smooth uncambered roads like going the to the nurburgring last year was great

used them in the snow we had there, no problems, never got suck at all, even in heavy water conditions they were not bad

i believe r888's are lethal in anything outside of really warm days - have heard of one scob written off because the driver took them out on a greasy day,not even wet, and went straight on at a corner....

il never put yokohamas on anything ever again, worst tyre outside of falkens ive had, so id go for the reo70's out of those

personally i swear by goodyear eagles with heavy duty rated sidewalls, on my 3rd set on this scoob with no probs standing for 4/5 months at a time - but i do like to keep charging in the rain and also a tyre that breaks away nice and progressively, nothing like edging the tail round that little bit :)

RE070s were fitted today...

Potenza_RE070.jpg

First impressions are good – wee bit slippy when I first left the garage, but fine once warmed up. Was rush-hour so didn't really get a chance to push them much – best scrub them in first anyway ;)

Handling-wise they feel very nice – more feedback through the wheel than before, very 'planted' and no tramlining whatsoever. Less squash when cornering too. Ride doesn't feel at all firmer than with the Avons, but new tyres tend to feel comfier anyway I find.

Plan now is to source a second set of STI alloys before next winter (Dave? ;)) and fit them out with something a bit less slick for the colder months.

Oh yeah, and the RE070s look rather spiffing fitted too :blush:

Dunno if anyone's interested...

Took the Scooby out this morn for its first proper run on the RE070s... lordy, lordy these are very good on bone-dry tarmac! Even down at 3dC outside temp they were holding the road beautifully.

Seems that most of the form chat about these tyres is holding true i.e. not as good as an average summer tyre on greasy roads (certainly the case when the tyres themselves are cold), but fantastic on properly dry roads.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, folks. Glad I went for these, more dry-oriented than the likes of the Eagle F1, but not as 'extreme' as the likes of the Toyo R888 which, for me, would probably be wasted on all but the warmest of summer's days.

Plan now is to sort myself out with another set of wheels/tyres for winter. Got the wheels, few months to think about the tyres now! ;)

:thumbup:

Dunno if anyone's interested...

Took the Scooby out this morn for its first proper run on the RE070s... lordy, lordy these are very good on bone-dry tarmac! Even down at 3dC outside temp they were holding the road beautifully.

Seems that most of the form chat about these tyres is holding true i.e. not as good as an average summer tyre on greasy roads (certainly the case when the tyres themselves are cold), but fantastic on properly dry roads.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, folks. Glad I went for these, more dry-oriented than the likes of the Eagle F1, but not as 'extreme' as the likes of the Toyo R888 which, for me, would probably be wasted on all but the warmest of summer's days.

Plan now is to sort myself out with another set of wheels/tyres for winter. Got the wheels, few months to think about the tyres now! ;)

:thumbup:

Hi. I run on the RE070's too and think they are great. Just hold the road so well. Pretty much in the same shoes as you as I dont push it much in the wet. Looking for a new set of them now as getting down to minimal tread. Would you mind me asking where you had yours fitted and the cost?

Cheers Dougie

Edited by Dougs Scoob

Hi. I run on the RE070's too and think they are great. Just hold the road so well. Pretty much in the same shoes as you as I dont push it much in the wet. Looking for a new set of them now as getting down to minimal tread. Would you mind me asking where you had yours fitted and the cost?

Cheers Dougie

try ace_tingtong on here or ACE Tyres on facebook!