Dccd Settings 97 Type R

I have owned my 97 Type R for about 6 weeks now and am asking some advice about the DCCD.

I finished work this morning about 7.30am and it was wet and still drizzly. Where I joined the motorway off the slip road I was parallel with a lorry and would not get past him so I just held back and then pulled in behind, about 80km/h. There was someone quite close behind me so thought I would pull out and get away past the lorry. I dropped to 4th and pulled out. At this speed with 1.4 bar boost the car was wheelspinning and the back end started to drift side to side. I did not need to do anything as it bit in and pulled straight. A nice wee jolt to keep me awake on the road home from nightshift!!!

I have always left the DCCD fully open (65% rear) as I don't want to be energising coils for no reason (I assume it is coils that adjust the diff.)

I think in the wet I will lock it up at 50/50 from now on.

I have read what you are meant to do, but what does everyone else do with the DCCD?

Drive sensibly in the rain would be the best answer I think - before anyone suggests it! B)

Bottom green is not 65% as stated it is more like the rear diff is not connected to the front diff when slippage of the rear wheels has occured.

The further up the dial you wind the meter the more the front and rear diffs lock together on a percentage basis unitl you hit the top light then what ever the rear wheels turn at speed wise the front wheels will match that speed exactly as the 2 diffs are now fully 100% locked together. Bottom light on the dial means there is no engagement between the diffs, that would be 0% through to top notch on dial indicating both front and rear diffs are now locked together 100%

Best rule of thumb is the slippier the potential conditons wind the dial fwd one notch to a max of halfway for b road driving to 3/4 on Motorways/A roads

The DCCD is basically electro magntic plates that are controled by how much electricity is fed to them, one of Subarus better designed products that has stood the test of time nicely. So simple yet so strong, effective and in the right hands an excellent driver aid for getting the best from the car

I tend to leave mine fully open in then dry and use 'auto' mode in the wet. The handling does seem more neutral in auto mode, but I like the livelier/looser feel of the open mode for enthusiastic driving.

With the centre diff fully open in the dry, the back end will occasionally slide a bit when pushing really hard, but the rear diff seems to lock up before things become too lairy. I tend to take it easy in the wet... no incidents so far...

Does the Type R's DCCD have an 'auto' mode?

Edited by Mystery Machine

i run mine 99% of the time fully back, due to the fact the plates will wear eventually.

tbh i dont push in the wet anymore. When i was on a wet track day i decided after a while to move the dccd to first orange and it made a very significant change, for the better.

running fully back didnt prove problematic when i was on a b road blast and anticipating a slide or two. i have however found it to bite a bit when ive been shattered and just wanting home (steady pace) and not being fully aware, circumstances fairly close to original posters.

i also found fully locked cutting out in proper snow last year. At the end of the day ive come to the conclusion that its a bit of a gimmick, as i could push my old viscous centered car a hell of a lot more.

edit:

no classic dccds do not have an auto mode. It also worth noting that no mater of dial setting the torque split is always 66% rear, as the dial adjust speed match not torque split.

Edited by euan_r