Carbon Canister

Finally removed the carbon canister from the car last night and rerouted the myriad of hoses and one way valves. I've spent ages trying to research how the system works and was finally confident enough to take the useless item out. It's probably the placebo effect but the car felt like it was running smoother on the run in to work and so far no fumes to be noticed in the cabin :)

Nah, no going back now its all packed away for a rainyday :wave: I have the existing two way valve in place and a small fuel filter inline and then vented under the rear of the engine bay...I'll have to watch out for funny whiffs appearing ;) just dont drive too close behind me :)

Edited by Vimmy

Hi Mark, I was looking to reduce the level of unwanted/extra air going into the air intake, compared to just purely having outside air. Even though, as I understand it, the canister is designed to remove deposits and vapours from the tank and reinsert them and then reburn them, it wont get rid of them all. Why would you want to contaminate good clean, colder air with these reconstituted 'extras', as such, as the ecu then has fuel correspondingly to get a decent output measured at the O2 sensor. As the purging is done on overrun then the ecu will fuel at the same rate/level and there will a tad extra air in the system, thats how I understand it. The current O2 sensor is only narrowband so probably less accurate than a wideband sensor for seeing these minor differences and hence slower in time to react perhaps. If this is the case and the ecu cant react quick enough to change the fuelling, does this mean its going to run a little lean at these times?

My other reason was that I need some space for some extra cold air feeds, if there comes a point where the fumes are causing concern I will probably reconnect the tank output back to the canister but again vent to atmos, the canister would have done its job by then?

Cheers,

Col