Handbrake Drums Getting Hot

Slightly long story here, but basically I have been having continual problems with a handbrake adjustment since some numpty (who has since been fired) over-tightened it at MOT time. I first realised the problem when I noticed a nasty smell from the back left and a discolouration to the silver handbrake drum. Unfortunately, it had already destroyed the (disc brake) calliper with excess heat and ruined a perfectly good brake pad, both of which had to be replaced.... :occasion14:

So the handbrake has since been re-adjusted by a more competent mechanic, but I'm still paranoid about it still producing excess heat. But I'm not sure how hot is too hot since I never tested it before! How hot do other peoples handbrake drums (not the discs) get after normal use of the brakes (and no handbrake turns or anything silly)? Mine are hot enough that it is uncomfortable to touch but not impossible - is that normal? I've tested the drums on a Sport (no discs at the back) which are stone cold after normal use, but I'm not sure if you'd expect some of the heat from the disc brakes to heat up the drums on a turbo. The back brakes are also a bit squealy at low speeds when they've heated up, but they've always been like that :thumbup:

So, do you think I still have a problem or not? I don't want to find out by destroying another set of callipers!

Cheers,

Matt

Slightly long story here, but basically I have been having continual problems with a handbrake adjustment since some numpty (who has since been fired) over-tightened it at MOT time. I first realised the problem when I noticed a nasty smell from the back left and a discolouration to the silver handbrake drum. Unfortunately, it had already destroyed the (disc brake) calliper with excess heat and ruined a perfectly good brake pad, both of which had to be replaced.... :occasion14:

So the handbrake has since been re-adjusted by a more competent mechanic, but I'm still paranoid about it still producing excess heat. But I'm not sure how hot is too hot since I never tested it before! How hot do other peoples handbrake drums (not the discs) get after normal use of the brakes (and no handbrake turns or anything silly)? Mine are hot enough that it is uncomfortable to touch but not impossible - is that normal? I've tested the drums on a Sport (no discs at the back) which are stone cold after normal use, but I'm not sure if you'd expect some of the heat from the disc brakes to heat up the drums on a turbo. The back brakes are also a bit squealy at low speeds when they've heated up, but they've always been like that :thumbup:

So, do you think I still have a problem or not? I don't want to find out by destroying another set of callipers!

Cheers,

Matt

You could always jack the car up at the rear so both rear wheels are off the ground. Try turning the wheels by hand with the hand brake on and off. Then you will see if it is binding. They wills till be stiff to turn but you should be able to turn them with some resistance. Or park on the tinyiest slope you can find. If the car doesnt roll the brake may be binding if it rolls freely then its not. As the drum and disc are one piece of metal then the disc will always heat the drum.

You could always jack the car up at the rear so both rear wheels are off the ground. Try turning the wheels by hand with the hand brake on and off. Then you will see if it is binding. They wills till be stiff to turn but you should be able to turn them with some resistance. Or park on the tinyiest slope you can find. If the car doesnt roll the brake may be binding if it rolls freely then its not. As the drum and disc are one piece of metal then the disc will always heat the drum.

So your drums get a bit hot as well then? The brakes weren't binding when cool even when they destroyed the calliper, but I will definitely try and find a gentle hill with warmer brakes.... Thanks for the tip.

Matt