Is My Car "modified" ?

I have an STi backbox and front anti roll bar fitted to my WRX SL Blobeye. That's it for now :-(

Am I just being paranoid here or are these "mod's" going to de-rail things re: an insurance claim if not declared??

A mate of mine wrote off his Nismo 350Z and they didn't question the K&N Induction kit he had fitted!

Guest sti3_lewak

Yes this does affect your insurance but most insurance companys don't mind some things to much.

Others may ask for extra cash before repairing and some may say your not insured properly

If I was in your shoes, I would declare the exhaust as its more obviously not standard. Gives you an excuse to sort the rest of the exhaust too! :lol:

I personally wouldnt declare the ARB.

Its just my opinion, not telling you what to do...

Edited by LewisScoob

If you have done anything to your car, you should declare it. Be it window tints, or a remap. If anything was to happen, the insurance companies will look for any way they can to get out of paying you from what I have heard from others. In my opinion it's better to be safe than sorry. My understanding of it, is that if you don't have everything declared you are running about with invalid insurance.

In the real world you can probably get a way with some things like said above. If I was you, try a quote to see what the changes would cost. You can do that through confused, do a normal quote, then another one with the mods, and see what the difference is generally. Should give you a good idea on what you want to do.

In my area they "cracked" down on mods which were not declared, such as exhausts (very noticeable if it's not standard).

Cheers,

Rab

Edited by Rab89
If I was you, try a quote to see what the changes would cost. You can do that through confused, do a normal quote, then another one with the mods, and see what the difference is generally. Should give you a good idea on what you want to do.

Sorry, but i wouldn't bother doing that. A 'new' quote with and without mods will vary so much and be unrealistic. Just phone your current provider and ask how much it 'would' go up (if at all!) with them.

An exhaust isn't going to be a problem. Your car needs one anyway so they can hardly alter the price too much for a critical part of the car! The ARB wouldn't even be noticed! No inspector, should the worst happen, will notice that!

Sorry, but i wouldn't bother doing that. A 'new' quote with and without mods will vary so much and be unrealistic. Just phone your current provider and ask how much it 'would' go up (if at all!) with them.

If you pick the same provider to compair it shouldn't change too much. The reason I didn't phone to quote is because I didn't want a quote of that on my account - then if I had an accident and it wasn't declared, it would be plain to see I was just avoiding costs if I did that.

An exhaust isn't going to be a problem. Your car needs one anyway so they can hardly alter the price too much for a critical part of the car! The ARB wouldn't even be noticed! No inspector, should the worst happen, will notice that!

They don't base it like that, if it adds BHP, or is what they see as an indication of driving a non standard vehicle it changes things. My last two cars (and my scoob) cost between £40 and £180 per year to add it to my policy.

From my experience anyway, the figure probably changes depending on your post code also. I don't think it will be a set figure to add something, it's probably % based. Just a guess with that though!

Rab

[Edit] - of course it all depends on who you are with.

Edited by Rab89