Spot Headgasket Failure

I've posted on here a few times about the overheating problems I was having with my car. I replaced, thermostat, radiator, radiator cap and bypassed the heater matrix, flushed the system with a hose, put in new coolant and still had the same problem.

My header tank was bubbling and I thought it smelt a bit petrolly, so I have taken the engine out and stripped it to have a look at the headgaskets.I'm not sure what a blown headgasket looks like, can anyone see anything from the pics below:

vy83s6.jpg

14m74g7.jpg

This is the first time I've ever taken the head(s) off any car,

Any advice, info would be great,

Thanks

Ross

It does look like there are carbon deposits (dark patches) between the cylinder and both the left hand (2nd pic) lower inner water ways, so that could be the issue. Also looks like one of the right hand cylinders had started to blow through on one of the lower inner waterways too.

Cheers Iain

Thanks for your reply.

Here's some more pictures that may be helpful

Here's a picture of the build up I found behind the cover, I don't know why there is a cover on the back of the block?

15fj634.jpg

This picture shows the build up better

25k4wli.jpg

Is this more than there should be?

Here's some pictures of the block with the gaskets removed

5ajq5k.jpg

dphf0n.jpg

If that cover was not there all that oil and gunk would blow straight onto your clutch :lol:

I am fairly certain that gunk build up is not normal, but could not say for certain as I have not yet removed that cover ;)

Looking at the pics with the gaskets removed the L/H was defo blowing.

Cheers Iain

For peace of mind, if you've gone far enough to get your engine out and got the heads off, stripping the block isn't too much more. The cover is there because the cylinders are offset by a crank throw.

If you've got the head off an alloy engine, you'll need the heads skimmed, and cleaning the block and getting the deck tops checked and lightly skimmed may be useful.

Of course you may wish to get it all wire ringed so the gaskets will take mega boost if needed.

Good work so far. Remember, now you've gone this far- do it right, best way.

Mark.