Caliper Refurb, New Discs & Pads

A quick write up and a few pics along the way (which make my calipers look in a terrible state!!) of the replacement of my 4pot pistons & brake discs / pads change Badbaz did for me (my contribution was keen learner / wheel remover / sander).

Problem stemmed from a few months back from general rubbish braking feel and then one of the pistons sticking, Barry freed that one but with the seals obviously letting in moisture to rust was only a matter of time before it happened again and the rubbish braking feel was never going to get any better. On asking a lot of questions to various people my decision was to keep my calipers and refurb them changing all 8 front pistons with new seal kit (thanks Kenny for the free kit :rotfl: ) and at the same time I got a good buy on grooved discs from Godspeed with an expensive buy on DS2500 pads - hoping for good improvement within reasonable budget (yes I'd have very much liked the K-sport upgrade but I can't justify spending that given the cars use).

I'll not get too technical cause I'll end up having to use words such as thingimies/round bits/what-do-ya-ma-call-its/thingimebobs, so more or less I think it was the following :

Wheels off, pads off, discs off, calipers off.

Brakes1.jpg

Brakes2.jpg

Pistons out, emery paper cleaned areas rust had built up, air pressure blown.

brakes3.jpg

brakes4.jpg

brakes5.jpg

Renewed the hydraulic seals, refitted new pistons, external dust seals held by spring rings all back onto calipers.

brakes6a.jpg

brakes7.jpg

Hub fronts emery paper rubbed

Calipers, new discs and pads & shims fitted, bled with 5.1 brake fluid. Brake fluid topped up.

brakes8.jpg

brakes9.jpg

...and no my wheels aren't rusty it is a reflection!!

No major problems, just a few of the old pistons not wanting to come out. I think there were about 3 or 4 of the 8 total pistons that were not moving as freely as would like.

So, how do they feel now. May be my imagination but the car seems to move more freely, braking is very different feeling given can almost tell the pistons are all okay now plus still got to get the pads bedded in. Stopping doesn't seem better but again reckon need to give the pads time to bed in.

Huge thanks to Barry for his advice, time, patience (I asked a lot of questions!) and mechanical expertise. Loads of Scoob chat also. Just need to be more aware of the lorry diesel fumes nearly knocking me out ;) if ever back for any more assistance.

Between the advice, help and parts needed goes to show just there's plenty of decent helpful folks on here ! :D

Edited by C_WRX

Keep in touch Kenny, not forgotten where the pistons came from !!

Really hoping these DS2500's are very good once bedded in, fed up with rubbish brakes recently !

When say refurbed calipers, I haven't done anything with the exterior of them (as the pics will show :D ), it is the pistons and seal kit Barry replaced (nearly said "we replaced" there ;) ) as they had been sticking. When we removed the old pistons it was obvious that some benefitted from being replaced, not all needed changed but I have heard mentioned before worth just doing all 8 but that'd be personal choice as will be more expensive (think?? they're about £15-£20 each and then about £20-£30 for the seal kit - may be cheaper as a package).

If that is what you meant then Barry would be able to answer that better than me !

Edited by C_WRX