Question About Front Hubs

I have a my'98 UK turbo and have been trying to source front hub parts, more specifically a tone wheel and a driveshaft.

I've been told there are only 2 types. With abs and without. The hub i have, has a toothed wheel that sits behind the disc and is fixed to the hub with allen bolts (the tone wheel). I assume the non abs version won't have this or any wiring to it?

I've just taken delivery of a front hub off a uk99 car. i was told it had the abs sensor. It has wiring but it doesnt have a tone wheel. I'm sure it'll fit on the car but will the abs system work?

I don't want to put it all on the find out it it'll not work properly.

Any ideas folks?

thanks

Kev

The first point of the ABS system is the tone wheel.. Which acts as a wheels speed sensor so the ABS system knows how fast the wheel is spinning.. or more importantly if it has stopped while hte other are moving much quicker.. If it is indeed a ABS hub then yes stickign a ABS tonewheel on shoudl be ok as long as the sensor is working.. Just try to make sure the distance between the tone wheel and the sensors are the same for the other side of the car.. An inbalance can mean dodgy feeback from teh ABS (been there done that.. )

HOpefully it's not the case for the fronts, but on the rears the wheel bearing needs to be removed in order to install the tone wheel.. Replaced one of mine a few months ago but didn't pay enough attention to the sensor distance so had to strip the brakes off again and re-mount the sensor.. *sigh*

I have a my'98 UK turbo and have been trying to source front hub parts, more specifically a tone wheel and a driveshaft.

I've been told there are only 2 types. With abs and without. The hub i have, has a toothed wheel that sits behind the disc and is fixed to the hub with allen bolts (the tone wheel). I assume the non abs version won't have this or any wiring to it?

I've just taken delivery of a front hub off a uk99 car. i was told it had the abs sensor. It has wiring but it doesnt have a tone wheel. I'm sure it'll fit on the car but will the abs system work?

I don't want to put it all on the find out it it'll not work properly.

Any ideas folks?

thanks

Kev

I think the ABS sensor position was changed on the MY99 Impreza from the side to the top of the hub (horizontal to vertical), I would imagine as the sensors have changed your ABS may not work, I would certainly suggest getting a hub of the same spec as your own with the tone wheel and sensor intact as the sensors can be a bit of a bugger to remove.

Cheers Iain

If it is indeed a ABS hub then yes stickign a ABS tonewheel on shoudl be ok as long as the sensor is working.

HOpefully it's not the case for the fronts, but on the rears the wheel bearing needs to be removed in order to install the tone wheel.. Replaced one of mine a few months ago but didn't pay enough attention to the sensor distance so had to strip the brakes off again and re-mount the sensor.. *sigh*

Sorry Alan, might not have been too clear in my post. The new '99 hub has no place for a tone wheel, it must use a different way of sensing.

My problems started with a knackered wheel bearing. I wrecked the end of the driveshaft seperating it all and the tone wheel fell to bits.

Big'D', that sounds about right :thumbup:

Sorry Alan, might not have been too clear in my post. The new '99 hub has no place for a tone wheel, it must use a different way of sensing.

Fair enough... Learn new things all the time on ere'

My problems started with a knackered wheel bearing. I wrecked the end of the driveshaft seperating it all and the tone wheel fell to bits.

Did the same sort of thing myself... Damaged a tone wheel while checking out a suspect wheel bearing and needed to replace ALthough managed to tap out the drive shaft without damaging it.. But that was the start of what's become a 3month (and counting) job.. It's all now become a long story... for another day....