L.e.d Bulbs

Upgrading a few things on my 9-3ss and decided to change a few bulbs. Ordered Brilliant white festoon L.E.D bulbs for the number plate surround on the rear like a lot of BMW's have these days.

Has anyone changed standard brakelight bulbs over to L.E.D before. Is this possible!?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'd had a look online and they safety aspect of them is much better than filament. The Saabs filaments almost look a pinky colour, which for a 2005 car is strange.

I was gonna upgrade all the bulbs in the interior as well to a white colour i.e interior lights, door open/shut etc. Just gives the car a fresher look.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/

Edited by StewartyBoy

I know that when I put LED bulbs in the rear of my m reg Cavalier, it came up with a wee fault on the dash saying I had bulbs out, obviously this was due to them using less w's than normal bulbs, but a resistor soon sorted this.

Michael

Can the above bulb be used as a brakelight Frank.

I'm not sure tbh but I don't see why not.. i'd check with someone in the know first.

When i fitted it as my foglight bulb in the cluster it was FAR brighter than the red bulb (that looked pink) i had in previously. I was going to try it as a brakelight but since it defeated the purpose of what i was doing, i never bothered.

If it wasn't going to be an issue reagrding how bright they were compared to the foglight (no point in them them being the same brightness) then yeah, i'd definately give it a go.

Assuming the power of them suited being a brake light etc.. this guy seemed to think they were ???

Well impressed!

Let me know how you get on .

Edited by Frank C

I recently swapped a friends A4 S-line B8's foglight bulbs to LED ones, as she wanted more pimp lights on it (its already white with Mahoossive alloys). At first I slagged her for swapping the bulbs, but once I fired them up I began to see the point.

Her argument was that she wanted to use them as driving lights, but didnt want to drive round like a bam with foglights on but have LED's that would match and compliment the LED's in her headlights.

They actually looked pretty good, and no hassle from the cops as they arent anywhere near powerful enough to blind anyone...

I know that when I put LED bulbs in the rear of my m reg Cavalier, it came up with a wee fault on the dash saying I had bulbs out, obviously this was due to them using less w's than normal bulbs, but a resistor soon sorted this.

Michael

Its wouldnt be down the the W's as thats a measurement of power, the resistance between a filament bulb and an L.E.D are much different as L.E.D's are alot lower in resistance.......sorry not meaning to be a geek lol

I just got HID lights for my car so i bought these for the side lights......will soon see if there any good or not :)

Jase

Edited by green_goblin

Ive got the 5 bulb wedge LED's Jase. Make a huge difference to the yellow ones.

Yup, LED's create low resistance therefore you need to buy ones with either an inbuilt resistor or if you have issues with the lights flashing faster or warning lights a parallel resistor can be fitted.

Ive got the 5 bulb wedge LED's Jase. Make a huge difference to the yellow ones.

Yup, LED's create low resistance therefore you need to buy ones with either an inbuilt resistor or if you have issues with the lights flashing faster or warning lights a parallel resistor can be fitted.

Yip exactly, im an electrical engineer so its no problems there :)

Jase,

One of the next things i need to look into is some kinda HID headlight kit for my v5 impreza. As you know the OE set up is rather pants to say the least but i'm obviously unsure as to what kit to get. So i'd be interested to hear how you get along with your little project on the subject, esp since you know what your doing regarding electrics.

HID kits are great, but I'd be very apprehensive on a Classic as it does'nt have a projection lense. Im sure someone had opened up a set of headlamps and fitted Mercedes HID to a Classic before.

Projection lense ? Is that just on the early versions or are the later facelift models any different...

Something like this no good then, does hi and low beam ? Quick search

Yeah. HID have lenses to direct the focus of light and cosume all of the energy rather than letting the light "fade out". All Impreza's (classics) don't have projection lenses. HID bulbs can still be fitted along with ballasts, but are missing the projection part of the hardware.

Some people say they have had MOT failures, some not. I'm sure someone will be along to explain technicality.

Jase,

One of the next things i need to look into is some kinda HID headlight kit for my v5 impreza. As you know the OE set up is rather pants to say the least but i'm obviously unsure as to what kit to get. So i'd be interested to hear how you get along with your little project on the subject, esp since you know what your doing regarding electrics.

Yeh the standard ones are gash.....i got my set from scooby clinic as i seen them on this link

I priced about and they were by far the cheapest for this set.....they are the high/low hid as some places sell the low hid and high halogen for the same price!!!

It was £107 delivered and they are sooooo easy to connect up!!! no wiring changes needed......you basically plu what would have gone onto your old bulb into the unit....you will see!!

Jase